Anyone been to Mexico ?

My friend who lived in Texas warned me off Mexico. Lots of muggings, killings, drive by spittings, rude gestures, cheap hats and big moustaches that would not be condusive to a good holiday.

Texans are bigots and pig ignorant.Mexico is safe away from border towns.Tourist areas are not Mexico but fake replicas;you are going to Cancun which is as Mexican as Cleethorpes.It is Disneyland without mice.Be brave and explote real Mexico and learn Spanish-adios et manana amigo!

As with any strange place, just use common sense. My late grandmother had family in Mexico City, and I remember visiting as a child and young teen, but haven't been in years. And I agree with whoever upthread said the crime has gotten out of control, mostly because of drugs. The border areas between the US and Mexico are absolute war zones. A great shame as tourism was a huge boost to the local economies.

In my limited time there, (almost entirely with family who could speak spanish and knew their way around) I found the local people to be kind, gracious, and generous to a fault. Yes, the tourist areas are touristy, but there is still much to see and do.

Archived