Anyone been to Mexico ?

Spent a weekend in Chetumal on the Yukatan Peninsula once back in 70s. Day one: got a sawn-off shotgun stuffed up my nose for refusing to dance with some whore in a bar. Off duty copper calmed situation down. Mate got mugged at knifepoint ten minutes later for his watch and wedding ring. Same off-duty copper (Super Mario look-a-like) told us he was sick of sight of us and he'd lock us up if he saw us again.:(

Day two: Went for walk and returned to hotel room to find we'd been robbed of all clothes we'd brought with us except ones we were wearing.

Walked to Belize border and mate collapsed in customs shed. Refused help from authorities, wouldn't let us use phone. Cadged lift back to base in back of pickup. Mate found to have food poisoning.

Apart from all this, we had agreat time.:|

My brother-in-law almost bought a beach condo near Rosarita a few years ago. They were brand new, selling for 90,000 dollars for a two bed.

Later he changed his mind and bought a time share in Cabo San Lucas.

I think he made the wrong decision. Where else could you get a brand new beach front property for 90 grand? :sad:

I'd have to agree with you on that, I'm not big on time shares myself. The husband and I thought about buying about 20 years ago, and I'm glad we didn't. A friend of mine was so fed up with trying to sell her time share and it turned out to be such a headache that she finally just gave it away.

And $90,000 for beach front property? Would I love to own property in Mexico! Isn't Rosarita very close to San Diego? I don't know what rules the Mexican government has about foreigners owning land. There was a local newspaper article about a doctor and his wife who had a gorgeous home built in Mexico. Things were fine until someone else decided to build on what was supposedly their stretch of beach. The local authorities were absolutely useless, and I don't think they ever got the matter resolved. They spent a lot of money, too.

Went to Acapulco, did go all inclusive but left the hotel a fair bit to walk round. The cliff divers were amazing to see and highly recommended. It feels safe enough to walk around during the day, I'd just be aware of who you get involved with. It's a beautiful place. I did want to go to Mexico city but were wary of bandits so didn't in the end. The weather was amazing as well, some right storms.

I'd love to go back but would want to do the other side next time.

We stayed in Playa del Carmen in Summer 2009, did plenty of tour-organised and self-organised day trips. Certainly never any hint of danger (I am quite well travelled, and have developed a good knack for spotting 'trouble' very early on and avoiding it).

A most excellent holiday overall, even including the one food poisoning experience at a downtown restaurant (should have ordered "no ice", or taken the ice cubes out of the tumbler, but sufferred a brainfart at the time :rolleyes:).

Antigua was better, though. For the little story, we stayed in Summer 2003 in the same resort where those 2 British honeymooners were murdered some years later (one bungalow down from theirs, as the layout of the place goes), so that just goes to show the "danger" of some destinations, like most violent acts, is a very random thing in the end. We got chatting with the locals, paid one to come with us for the day as our guide to self-explore the island (see the good places and sights that tour trips don't show), then let him invite us to the local 'deli' (dilapidated caravan on side of road :D) for diner. A memorable experience, and the best jerk chicken ever.

I remember us self-driving down from Ortlando to Ft Lauderdale in 1996 and getting lost on some back roads, and getting looks from locals (very obviously clocking our 'rental plate'), where my 'spidey senses' were certainly tingling a damn sight more than in Mexico or Antigua.

Although you don't want to stay there, Cancun is a good place to fly to/from as you can get cheap fights. From there you can travel round the rest of the Yucatán peninsula which has plenty to see and do. Mérida is nice city and can provide a base for day trips. Chichen Itsa is worth a visit too - try and stay near by the night before you visit as the place gets overrun by coach trips from Cancun around mid day.

We're thinking of getting a flight to Cancun, probably booking nearby accommodation there for the first night, and then travelling around and booking accommodation as we go. Is it quite easy to just find reasonable accommodation as you go, would you say? :)

I'd have to agree with you on that, I'm not big on time shares myself. The husband and I thought about buying about 20 years ago, and I'm glad we didn't. A friend of mine was so fed up with trying to sell her time share and it turned out to be such a headache that she finally just gave it away.

And $90,000 for beach front property? Would I love to own property in Mexico! Isn't Rosarita very close to San Diego? I don't know what rules the Mexican government has about foreigners owning land. There was a local newspaper article about a doctor and his wife who had a gorgeous home built in Mexico. Things were fine until someone else decided to build on what was supposedly their stretch of beach. The local authorities were absolutely useless, and I don't think they ever got the matter resolved. They spent a lot of money, too.

The property the bro-in-law was looking at was a condominium development which was a two bedroom apartment in a building. It overlooked the beach, clear open view of the ocean. A similar place like that anywhere along the California coast would have to run at least 300 -400 thou.

I dont think non-Mexican citizens can own property freehold in Mexico. If I remember right the property was on a 99 year lease.

Rosarita is a small town about one hour drive from San Diego along the coast highway. I was willing to go halves with him but his OH liked Cabo San Lucas better so he went for the time share instead. Years later he wanted to sell it but like your friend there were no buyers.

Too bad the way it worked out. I was looking forward to spending a few weekends on uncrowded Rosarita beach sipping a margarita or two and watching Pacific sunsets :sad:

We're thinking of getting a flight to Cancun, probably booking nearby accommodation there for the first night, and then travelling around and booking accommodation as we go. Is it quite easy to just find reasonable accommodation as you go, would you say? :)

That's what I did when I went and had no trouble finding accommodation. It is definitely worth booking your first nights stay in Cancun town itself if your flight is arriving late as the tourist office might be closed. You'll want to be relatively close to the bus station for onward travel. There are international brand hotels if you just want something predictable after the long flight.

I should point out it was 12 years ago that I went so take what I say with a pinch of salt and get yourself a Lonely Planet guide book. :)

The property the bro-in-law was looking at was a condominium development which was a two bedroom apartment in a building. It overlooked the beach, clear open view of the ocean. A similar place like that anywhere along the California coast would have to run at least 300 -400 thou.

I dont think non-Mexican citizens can own property freehold in Mexico. If I remember right the property was on a 99 year lease.

Rosarita is a small town about one hour drive from San Diego along the coast highway. I was willing to go halves with him but his OH liked Cabo San Lucas better so he went for the time share instead. Years later he wanted to sell it but like your friend there were no buyers.

Too bad the way it worked out. I was looking forward to spending a few weekends on uncrowded Rosarita beach sipping a margarita or two and watching Pacific sunsets :sad:

Bet he's wishing he'd listened to you! Shoot. That would take all the fun out of being right.

If I recall correctly, that was the whole problem with the property in Mexico City owned by my grandmother's uncle. After he died, they were forced to sell the place. He'd never married, and he inherited the house from his parents. There was a lot of stuff in the house and garden. He also did something with art, and had a lot of paintings and sculptures, etc. I guess the place to sell Mexican art isn't Mexico. Unless you're Diego Rivera.

Archived