Hayfever tablets

Why are they so expensive ?

I'm sure the chemicals in them cost pence to produce, is it just that people are desperate for relief and will pay anything, so they charge top dollar ?

If you go into a pharmacy and buy them in bulk they cost a really small amount per dose- you just have to arrange for your pharmacist to order them in in a big tub rather than a little strip.

my friend gets my OH's as she works in a chemist. They cost her 20p for 30 tablets but the box is priced £3.91.

Most hayfever tablets are just citirizine dihydrochlorid. You pay more for branded ones which are exactly the same as the generic boxes you can get. I know you can get a strip of 7 in home bargains for either 69p or 79p

You pay more for branded ones which are exactly the same as the generic boxes you can get.

Despite them being exactly the same drug in exactly the same form, some people find the generic ones don't work as well - a classic example of the nocebo effect (the placebo effect in reverse).

I get boxes of 7 cetirizine from B&M, for about fifty pence a pop. They sell loratadine for about the same price, but I find taking the drowsiness-inducing one actually helps me get to sleep at nights. :D

The 10mg cetirizine one are the ones I'm on now, and they seem to be working, I got them (eventually) for about $10, some of the other brands were $40, which is mad.

I was hoping that I was actually allergic to something unique to the UK and I'd be ok here, but it seems my alergy is pretty unfussy about the plant species.

Archived