Refused a hysterectomy

I have been trying for over a year now to get a hysterectomy done im 28 years old have 2 beautiful children suffer from ovarian cysts and im epileptic so the coil is my only form of contraception I am not planning on having anymore babies I'm more than happy with the children I have, I am sick of the pain I am in every month so why wont they help me its my body why cant I have a say :(

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

they dont like doing things like that if they dont need to, specially with younger people.

i was about 35 or so when i had the snip, had to pesuade them i was in a stable relationship, had enough kids and old enough

im married too im just fed up of being in pain now i have polycystic ovaries too so its not like I just want one because i dont want periods anymore its actually affecting my day to day activities i already said to my doc that i would sign anything to say im 110% happy for this to go ahead but she said that i might change my mind about this in the future grrrr makes me so mad

im married too im just fed up of being in pain now i have polycystic ovaries too so its not like I just want one because i dont want periods anymore its actually affecting my day to day activities i already said to my doc that i would sign anything to say im 110% happy for this to go ahead but she said that i might change my mind about this in the future grrrr makes me so mad

well tell her your serious and WONT change your mind, if she still wont you might have to see another dr?

Depends very much on the doctor. My ex hubby had no prob getting snip after our second daughter born but I know lot of cases when this was no-no. Same for friends for hysterectomy. I would say go back, put case across again and if no joy ask for second opinion.

surely an oophorectomy would be of more benefit than a hysterectomy? and why does epilepsy contraindicate condoms?

I get cysts in my tubes as well as around my ovaries so why would a oopherectomy help?

and i fell pregnant with my 2nd child through condoms so forgive my lack of enthusiasm when it comes to the pointless rubber things at the end of the day I should be able to decide what happens to my body and i have booked yet another appointment to see a male doctor this time see if he sympathises a little bit more

If your doctors are unsympathetic, ask them to refer you back to the care of a gynaecologist. I presume you already see one about the cysts, so just go to them and see what they say. Surely they have more expertise and experience than the GPs in this situation.

I think that whether a hysterectomy happens at the end of the day will come down to your gynaecologist, not your GP. I spent ages being sent between the gynaecologists at the RHH with them trying to convince me that conservative treatment was what was needed (raging endometriosis which was being made rapidly worse by the chemo that I was on and which had blighted my life for years) until I actually burst into tears on them and they referred me on to a different consultant, Mr Paterson.

I was due to wait 4 months for an appointment to see him but I decided that I just couldn't wait that long, so I paid to go and see him privately for my first appointment. I laid out my case for something decisive being done and he agreed with me that my life at the time was intolerable and that something needed to be done.

Even though I was 32 and childless, he agreed with me that the only thing that would have a decent chance of sorting out my problems was a full hysterectomy, so that's what he organised- and he did it only 2 weeks later. Total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingooophorectomy (which basically means that I've been spayed) and the operation hurt a lot less than the endometriosis did.

My advice would be to get a referral back to your gynaecologist and state your case there. Your GP does not have the information or the skills to make the decision to do the operation, nor the ability to carry it through if they did decide it.

Archived