Middle Lane Drivers..WHY FOR GODS SAKE?

The maximum speed on the motorway is 70mph how can 50 be too slow? lorrys are limited to 50ish max should they be ban too as thats far to slow?

If you look back to the opening post he was talking of someone doing 50mph in the middle lane with a clear nearside lane.

The maximum speed on the motorway is 70mph how can 50 be too slow? lorrys are limited to 50ish max should they be ban too as thats far to slow?

No, I would expect HGV to be travelling slower, & they tend to use lane 1 mostly, lane 2 occasionally, but a slow car in the middle lane can be a bit of a surprise when the general traffic is flowing at around 80mph.

Is there anybody out there who can explain why some drivers sit in the middle lane on motorways for no reason whatsoever?

Today, a guy was doing 50mph from J35 to J38 on the M1 north in a Nissan Micra (WITH A TOWBAR FITTED ?????) and there was nothing but me on the inside lane for miles ahead. Are they unsure of the highway code, or are they just stupid???

He probably hadn't realised that his caravan had come unhitched

When I come across this sort of situation I try to overtake in an exaggerated sequence from the nearside lane across to the overtaking lane and back again - just so they can see that you don't have to stay in the middle lane.(waste of time and effort I know)

I'd love to know why they do it. Is it because they think that if they move back to the left then they'll be stuck there? Or is it some idea that they are leaving the nearside lane free for cars to enter the motorway at the next junction (although this might still be several miles away)? Or they're scared of mixing it with lorries?

yes. ive seen that. according to the internet knowledge monster, its ok to undertake if you are "keeping your natural progression without switching lanes" which makes sense, until the middle lane hogging a.r.sewipe decides he wants to come off at the exit your just passing. They truly my my blood boil.:rant:

I posted this extract from the Highway Code on another thread recently:

"stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left"

As much as I'd like to carry on my way in the clear inside lane at 70 mph and pass on the inside of the 50mph middle lane hogger, I don't think that this bit of the HC would support me

yes. ive seen that. according to the internet knowledge monster, its ok to undertake if you are "keeping your natural progression without switching lanes" which makes sense, until the middle lane hogging a.r.sewipe decides he wants to come off at the exit your just passing. They truly my my blood boil.:rant:

Actually, this bit of the Highway Code allows your 'passing on the left', but only in congested conditions. I think it would be stretching things to use it as a basis for passing the lone micra in the middle lane, though.

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Regardless of the legality of undertaking, your worry that he might decide to turn off just as you are passing is a real one. It's hard to have any confidence in what he might do next.

No, no we dont.

Some like me may feel thy are safe, competent drivers but definatly not the best.

I think you're a bit arrogant.

#

im not arrogant closet guy, im just annoyed when some drivers dont use the road like they should.

its not fair for you to call me arrogant, and im now upset.:gag:

I've also heard it costs the country MONEY. In some places motorways have extra lanes added to ease congestion. If folk used the existing lanes properly it may be found there is no reason to carry out this work.

How many times have I been on the motorway and it's virtually bumper to bumper in the middle and outside lane, but the inner one is almost empty?! :huh:

I sometimes sit in the middle lane in the wet or at night if its quite but always move over when people behind me approach, reason for middle lane is extra margin between the barriers and such should I have a blow out, safer yes, legal no, but with no one around I opt for safety first.

Archived