Sheffield All-Stars Football team v Show biz eleven at Owlerton Stadium

Does anyone remember a charity football match at Owlerton Stadium around 1960 between a Sheffield All-Stars team and a Show Biz side? The size of the crowd exceeded expectations with the touchlines being encroached and people sitting on the roof of the stand. Derek Dooley was one of the linesmen (sorry, assistant referees).

I would be very interested to know who played that day.

Does anyone remember a charity football match at Owlerton Stadium around 1960 between a Sheffield All-Stars team and a Show Biz side? The size of the crowd exceeded expectations with the touchlines being encroached and people sitting on the roof of the stand. Derek Dooley was one of the linesmen (sorry, assistant referees).

I would be very interested to know who played that day.

i know dave king the comedian played because he hit a girl who with others mobbed him; there was a lot to do about it i will try and remember more.

I seem to remember that Jimmy Hagan came out of retirement to play.

I think you could be right PC about Jimmy as the local team comprised of ex pros. The only ones I remember playing are Oscar Fox (ex Wednesday) and Harry Hough (ex Barnsley goalkeeper).

So, with Dave 'why does everybody call me big head' King at centre forward at a guess, we now have four names.

Eighteen more to go.

• 1 year later...

Tommy Steele was down to play,although I don't think he did.I think that was why there was such a big crowd because he was at the height of his fame.

I was only 12 at the time,so I'm struggling for names,although I seem to remember my dad mentioning Alf Ringstead and Alex Forbes in the All-Stars team.

• 3 years later...

Just found this thread. Don't know who actually played, but have got the programme for the game which lists the teams as: Ex-soccer stars: Jack Smith, Eddie Shimwell, Ernest Blenkinsop, Ernest Jackson, Harry Latham, Oscar Fox, Alf Ringstead, Ron Starling, Arnold Lowes, Jimmy Hagan, Dennis Woodhead, Albert Cox. The Showbiz XI: Jackie Gordon, Billy Parry, Walley Barnes, Franklyn Boyd, John Burgess, Ronnie Carroll, Sean Connery, Jimmy Henney, Dave King, Glenn Mason, Chas McDevitt, Des O'Connor, Tommy Steele, Pip Wedge, Billy Wright. The linesman were Derek Dooley and Mark Hooper and the ref George MCabe.

Just found this thread. Don't know who actually played, but have got the programme for the game which lists the teams as: Ex-soccer stars: Jack Smith, Eddie Shimwell, Ernest Blenkinsop, Ernest Jackson, Harry Latham, Oscar Fox, Alf Ringstead, Ron Starling, Arnold Lowes, Jimmy Hagan, Dennis Woodhead, Albert Cox. The Showbiz XI: Jackie Gordon, Billy Parry, Walley Barnes, Franklyn Boyd, John Burgess, Ronnie Carroll, Sean Connery, Jimmy Henney, Dave King, Glenn Mason, Chas McDevitt, Des O'Connor, Tommy Steele, Pip Wedge, Billy Wright. The linesman were Derek Dooley and Mark Hooper and the ref George MCabe.

Thanks for that ingleside17, we finally got there. Wow, surprised to see Ernie Blenkinsop in the team. He would have been getting on a bit. Sean Connery wasn't as well known before his James Bond days and Tommy Steele would have been the big draw for the show biz team. I know the ground was absolutely packed that day.