The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Originally posted by Greybeard

IKEA have switched their new store policy to building them in town centres.

Coventry and Ashton have been selected so far, - I wonder if Sheffield is on their list. Wherever would they put it ?

Well you see, we tend to have taste in Sheffield... Hence there is still no Ikea store in Sheffield.

Originally posted by nick2

But if they only go to that one shop whats the point ? I doubt Ikea will let you park in their car park while you have a wander round town.

Im sure that people would go to more than one shop if they came to sheffield.

The other thing is that the store in the middle of town will have to be as big as the ones in Leeds/Nottingham, otherwise they won't have space for all the same stock and people would still go to Leeds/Nottingham.

Given how huge their stores are would we be happy with losing a vast area of the city centre to a blue and orange warehouse (given the debate on how bad the city centre buildings are) ?

Nick - i was reading about this in the times the othe night and they are not going to be anywhere near the size of the ones in leeds or nottingham, they are going to be exacly what they are called- 'high street stores' they will be selling a limited range with (i presume) an ordering service for the other ranges available,

Also they are going to be launching there internet shopping site soon (which will save loads of time queing for car parks) but at the moment they are only going to lauch it around london and then expand across the UK.

I don't know how offering a limited range of stock will work, if you get there and find they haven't got the "Splodgen" coffee table you saw in their catalog so you have to go to Leeds to get one you won't be best pleased.

It might work, but the shop will be just like Habitat realy, and for some reason that didn't work in Sheffield.

I personally think the Centertainment area has some decent space to put an IKEA.

Club WOW is sat empty as is that whole block now Brannigans has shut down... that place could certainly be refitted and turned into an IKEA.

With ample parking space too AND being close to meadowhell, M1 etc it's certainly a prime location in my opinion.

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

Well you see, we tend to have taste in Sheffield... Hence there is still no Ikea store in Sheffield.

Too true. I've driven past loads of houses with these tasteful people living inside over Christmas and they all have lovely tasteful lights outside that you can buy from B&Q.

Those nasty, style free Ikea shops don't have anything tasteful in at all like that.

;) <- Just in case you don't get it.

Originally posted by rinty

Those nasty, style free Ikea shops don't have anything tasteful in at all like that.

;) <- Just in case you don't get it.

IKEA has a style that people seem to either love or hate. I did once buy some of their stuff, - some shelving and quite nifty little sets of drawers; but they were for the shed, - SWMBO won't have IKEA in the house :P

I think IKEA would be good for the centre of town, we need competition and choice to revive Sheffield's retail offering, so the more the merrier. And if parking were 'built-in' as it is with the John Lewis store, and charges refundable, it needn't be a problem.