The IKEA in Sheffield thread

I woudl welcome an Ikea. If the city council as before rturn it down then they will simply go elsewhere to a city or town that welcomes them.

I also dont think IMO that Ikea will take away business from the City Centre. If they can position close to the city centre then it can only do good as if you are close them maybe it will be worth going that extra distance into the city rather than driving away. Especially as one or two have noted for those non-Sheffield residents who may wish to extend there stay in the city.

Originally posted by pete_jim

My main point was that the things sold by IKEA are not exactly top end in terms of design and quality. There are plenty of other places selling similar types of merchandise. I'm not saying that they don't have a place in the market but I don't think that they would attract anything 'better' to an area.

Yes, the stuff they sell is hardly like something from the Conran Shop or handcrafted furnishings and 'objet d'art', but few people can afford that kind of luxury. There really isn't anywhere else that sells the same kind of stuff that IKEA sells - decent design, hardwearing, and cheap.

Even 'common' people are design savvy these days and they can pick up interesting stuff like circular beds or luxurious stuff like pure linen curtains at low prices in IKEA instead of having to put up with the kind of bland, overpriced designs you get in Argos or DFS.

And you'd be surprised at the high number of people with high disposable incomes who shop at IKEA - let's keep their cash here rather than send it to other cities. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Mathom

[b Even 'common' people are design savvy these days and they can pick up interesting stuff like circular beds or luxurious stuff like pure linen curtains at low prices in IKEA instead of having to put up with the kind of bland, overpriced designs you get in Argos or DFS.

And you'd be surprised at the high number of people with high disposable incomes who shop at IKEA - let's keep their cash here rather than send it to other cities. :thumbsup: [/b]

Are you saying that people who shop at IKEA are 'common'? A dreadful term to start with.

Originally posted by alchresearch

If Sheffielders don't want to use Ikea - fine, don't use it. But don't deny all the potential out of towners who want to come and spend their cash in your area.

Two weeks ago I spent £2500 on three bedrooms worth of furniture in Ikea, in both Leeds and Nottingham. That would have been spent in Sheffield had the stupid council not been so blind.

The furniture is of better quality than some we bought for my Mum last year from John Lewis. It was cheaper and it was easier to get home because we had to wait for JL to deliver the stuff for my Mum.

Originally posted by pete_jim

Are you saying that people who shop at IKEA are 'common'? A dreadful term to start with.

'twas merely some light sarcasm. hence the '.............'

I think it has been insinuated that those who shop at IKEA are not fully commensurate with the requirements of 'taste' and hence a branch of the store would not bring in the 'right kind of people' to Sheffield. I beg to differ, and so would a lot of other people, both 'common' and 'posh' and otherwise.

I work at the IKEA in leeds and live in sheffield so I'm hoping they build a store for purley selfish reasons namely that I wont have to spend a fortune on diesel going to and fro five days per week.

This argument seems to be concentrating on the business sheffield will get by building an IKEA. What proof do some of you have that people don't visit surrounding areas when they shop at IKEA? most IKEA's are out of town so there isnt much to look at round the area.

A lot of good will come of having this kind of store in sheffield as someone mentioned before helping attract other "bluechip" retailers to the centre and making it a better shopping experience. Also the money that it will bring to other local busineses such as caterers, hardware suppliers, delivery companies just to name but a few as it is mandatory they set up these kind of deals with local companies hence more jobs than just the people working at the store more jobs has got to be good hasn't it?

Originally posted by rinty

Two weeks ago I spent £2500 on three bedrooms worth of furniture in Ikea, in both Leeds and Nottingham. That would have been spent in Sheffield had the stupid council not been so blind.

But you would still have given your money to Ikea, it wouldn't have benefited Sheffield in any way, same as your purchase didn't benefit Leeds in any way realy.

Originally posted by nick2

But you would still have given your money to Ikea, it wouldn't have benefited Sheffield in any way, same as your purchase didn't benefit Leeds in any way realy.

Presumably the employees don't commute from Sweden? ;) (ok, it's a small number in itself, but anything is better than nothing, especially if it means there's a shop in town that isn't a pound shop...)