The IKEA in Sheffield thread

In my experience very normal.

That area is very busy, not just with traffic visiting Meadowhall etc.. but as a link from the mway into the centre and the north of Sheffield.

That's being said, IMO those measures will not stop that area being gridlocked most weekends when Ikea opens.

There will be a massive number of extra journeys being made. The catchment for the new store is huge.

Yes initial costs to do the work will be in the millions but that's nothing compared to the profit the store will generate over its lifetime.

I just cannot see the logic of the planning condition regarding road improvements in the area.

I cannot see the advantage of improved cycle lanes of bus/tram access to an Ikea store, ok this will contribute to access to the surrounding area, but i can only assume nearly all visits to Ikea would require a car.

To site this store in this already gridlocked location is madness, with junction 34 unable to cope with the masses visiting Meadowhall etc, at peak times. Add in the many regular commuters who also work in the area, this will add to an already overstretched road infrastructure.

I am no expert, but why did SCC allow this to be approved in this location. Of the Ikeas i have visited most are attached to some smaller retail parks, but nothing compared to the scale of Meadowhall.

If SCC insist this is to be the location, why not link Euorpa Link / Shepcote Lane direct to the M1 and create a Junction 33a like they have done at Bolsover further down the M1?

It is a travesty just waiting to happen, and gridlock will just add to an already over polluted area of the city

I just cannot see the logic of the planning condition regarding road improvements in the area.

I cannot see the advantage of improved cycle lanes of bus/tram access to an Ikea store, ok this will contribute to access to the surrounding area, but i can only assume nearly all visits to Ikea would require a car.

To site this store in this already gridlocked location is madness, with junction 34 unable to cope with the masses visiting Meadowhall etc, at peak times. Add in the many regular commuters who also work in the area, this will add to an already overstretched road infrastructure.

I am no expert, but why did SCC allow this to be approved in this location. Of the Ikeas i have visited most are attached to some smaller retail parks, but nothing compared to the scale of Meadowhall.

If SCC insist this is to be the location, why not link Euorpa Link / Shepcote Lane direct to the M1 and create a Junction 33a like they have done at Bolsover further down the M1?

It is a travesty just waiting to happen, and gridlock will just add to an already over polluted area of the city

SCC didn't want it there, and IIRC tried to suggest other sites that didn't suit Ikea's business model.

In the end, SCC gave up the fight, but as part of the planning approval were able to get some infrastructure improvements, in effect, for free, by making them a part of the approval conditions. I think a similar thing applied in the case of the Sainsburys store at Wadsley Bridge. (The extra infrastructure, not the fight).

Generally, road improvements try to incorporate facilities for cyclists and pedestrians. The improvements don't just relate to the new Ikea store, they are general improvements. It makes sense to do them at the same time, and to try and integrate with existing facilities nearby. Also, often when there are improvements the funding money comes with conditions regarding provision of cycling facilities. I don't know if there is any other funding for some of the changes (ie not just Ikea money), but this may have a bearing on the extent of cycle/pedestrian facilities being provided.

Edit. I also read recently that Meadowhall itself hopes to extend, with a new leisure / entertainment area, I think, which will put further pressure on the roads infrastructure.

Edited by Eater Sundae

As Eater Sundae says this site was not approved by SCC and for some of the reasons you have mentioned.

Any location would create a big increase in traffic and this location is particularly bad because of its proximity to the M1.

However Sheffield people have overwhelmingly voiced the opinion that they wanted an accessible IKEA.

A national cycle route already passes within a few 100 metres of the site and their is already a tram stop at the site.

IKEA wants a site close to a every large University city as a large percentage of their business is associated with students and ex-students many of whom choose public transport.

IKEA have also wanted to dump the idea that it is associated with the outdated view of cheap flat packs being squeezed into cars, their most profitable lines are the smaller items.

IKEA is now infilling between its original regional store business plan. Such retailers use the experience and data from other ventures to influence their decisions*.

The lack of available sites in western half of the city has unfortunately made such developments inevitable as both IKEA and its potential customers demand good public transport links from the west as an alternative to thei car.

*When the data for in the first two years of the opening of Meadowhall was analysed, the owners and financiers were very disturbed to find that despite a 25% bigger footfall than expected, expenditure per person in the shops was 66% of the expected. This was associated with groups arriving in cars. Initially this was fixed by bigger car parks. Enticing and persuading high end retailers with cheap rents- not always successful. The improvements in South Yorkshire rail services and later supertram have also significantly increased the footfall.

Very intelligent and insightful comments. Don't forget the Arena round there, it can bring everything to a stop as well.

There probably will be some immigrants who take the ikea flatpacks on trams and buses.

Edited by dutch