The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Originally posted by andrex

hi to everyone on the forum this is my first post. i can't believe i didnt know about the site until now. i use quite a few different on line forums on various topics but this one has got to be the best.

ikea always go for out of town sites i remember visting the one near leeds one bank holiday and i have never seen traffic queues as big as they were on that particular day.

if the council ever reversed their decision it would be difficult to find a suitable site anywhere in the city that wouldn't add to the horrendous traffic queues that this fine city has everyday. i have lived in quite a few different cities in the uk and have never seen traffic like it is in sheffield. leeds is much more car friendly than sheffield.

Probably cos L**ds City Council aren't as stupid or anti-car as the "Powers that be" here in Sheffield :gag:

Originally posted by andrex

ikea always go for out of town sites i remember visting the one near leeds one bank holiday and i have never seen traffic queues as big as they were on that particular day.

The access roads at the Leeds store are terrible.

The one near Warrington was just as bad but they built a new motorway junction on the M62 to ease the congestion.

Taking trade from the city-centre....? Excuse me if I sound a little harsh here but do you ppl up here really consider Sheffield city centre to actually be a city centre..? Being from Birmingham I look at the city centre and can't help myself but laugh, I can do the entire centre in under an hour, Birmingham, Manchester, Plymouth, Liverpool etc takes me nearly a whole shopping day just to walk round, so maybe instead of saying no to everyone maybe it's time they started to say yes.....everyone I know goes to Leeds or Brum for the choice already....

The biggest city-centre experience for anyone who has never left Sheffield has gotta be Meadowhall and that's not getting anywhere near the guiness book of records is it....:loopy: :loopy:

got to agree with bob da builder on that last post. im leeds born and bred so i might be a little biased but sheffield city centre is more like a town than a city and the choice of shops is quite poor.

compared to leeds which has many more shops and what i believe to be the best markets anywhere in the uk. anyway lets not mention markets because sheffields markets are not worthy of mentioning they are terrible.

the best place to shop in sheffield is definatly meadowhall.

Originally posted by BobDaBuilder

I can do the entire centre in under an hour, Birmingham, Manchester, Plymouth, Liverpool etc takes me nearly a whole shopping day just to walk round, so maybe instead of saying no to everyone maybe it's time they started to say yes

Yeah but no offence but Plymouth is the biggest hole of a city centre in the country - its such a dump that even parkhill flats would be considered as a daring new development.

I like ikea, it would be great if one was in Sheffield, helping to raising levels in the employment market and all that. The best site for it would be, imo, at the Markets.

Get rid of that eyesore of a building and all the chavs that shop there in one fell swoop!! :clap: :clap:

A planning application has been put in for the markets area...

Site Of Sheaf Market Exchange Street Sheffield : Erection of a 114 bedroomed hotel , 400 space multi-storey car park and 3 retail units (use classes A1/A2/A3) (revised scheme)

We have a friend who works for the development department in Ikea. Hillsborough was not mentioned when he gave us a rundown of current projects. Although Ikea own a fair few plots of land, some are strategic purchases, which are not currently intended for development