The IKEA in Sheffield thread

It is odd how nearly everyone seems to say "the council said no to Ikea" when what actually happened is that (as CheekyGee says), the council was concerned about the congestion that would have been caused by the location Ikea proposed, and Ikea then said "stuff this, we're off to Donny".

And if the council *had* given them the green light then you can bet your mortgage that the same people who are now moaning about the council "saying no to Ikea" would then be moaning about the council not building a new road to relieve all the congestion they caused by saying yes to Ikea.

If you ask me we've got the best of both worlds now. We don't get the traffic problems, and if we want to buy Ikea stuff or work there then we can nip down the road to Donny. It's not like it's the other side of the planet.

Originally posted by lazyfish

If you ask me we've got the best of both worlds now. We don't get the traffic problems, and if we want to buy Ikea stuff or work there then we can nip down the road to Donny. It's not like it's the other side of the planet.

That's not the point. The point of an Ikea in Sheffield is to bring tourists and visitors from outside the city to Sheffield and spend their money and time here.

You build an Ikea in Doncaster and people are going to then visit the Yorkshire Outlet, maybe the aircraft museum and all the other attractions in the area.

It's the same with the Leeds and Warrington Ikeas. Both are on big leisure retail parks. I'd never been to Warrington until I went to that Ikea. Now that I know there are other big shops around there, it's usually the first place I think of if I need a few things from different stores. I wouldn't go all the way to Warrington just to shop at Ikea then travel all the way back to get other things from Manchester.

Originally posted by alchresearch

That's not the point. The point of an Ikea in Sheffield is to bring tourists and visitors from outside the city to Sheffield and spend their money and time here.

Well, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but I always thought the point of a shop was so you could buy stuff. I don't really understand this obsession with getting people to come here.

In any case, if a visitor is attracted to the city by the opportunity to spend money in the local outlet of a large multinational retail chain, doesn't that money just go straight back out of the city and into the pockets of shareholders?

You build an Ikea in Doncaster and people are going to then visit the Yorkshire Outlet, maybe the aircraft museum and all the other attractions in the area.

It's the same with the Leeds and Warrington Ikeas. Both are on big leisure retail parks. I'd never been to Warrington until I went to that Ikea. Now that I know there are other big shops around there, it's usually the first place I think of if I need a few things from different stores. I wouldn't go all the way to Warrington just to shop at Ikea then travel all the way back to get other things from Manchester.

I didn't think the IKEA place in Doncaster was a store, I thought it was their distribution warehouse. I'd love to be wrong though.

Originally posted by Musey

I didn't think the IKEA place in Doncaster was a store, I thought it was their distribution warehouse. I'd love to be wrong though.

There is a distribution place there, but I thought they were putting a shop there as well. Could be wrong, but I go past there quite regularly and there's definitely summat being built next to the existing warehouse thingy.

Well, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but I always thought the point of a shop was so you could buy stuff. I don't really understand this obsession with getting people to come here.

Because Sheffield is dying and doing too little too late. You probably don't notice it much because you live there but if you look at it through the eyes of someone who doesn't live there you see it.

I realise there is a lot of regeneration going on at the minute in the city, but that is happening in other cities throughout the UK. Sheffield is doing nothing more than everyone else and, as a result, isn't standing out as a visitor destination.

For every person that travels to Leeds or Nottingham from Sheffield to visit Ikea, thats one less person helping keep a local in employment and ploughing money, no matter how insignificant back into the local economy.

There is a distribution place there, but I thought they were putting a shop there as well. Could be wrong, but I go past there quite regularly and there's definitely summat being built next to the existing warehouse thingy.

Yea I went past there the other week and thought they looked like they were extending. It's be great if they opened a store there.

Because Sheffield is dying and doing too little too late. You probably don't notice it much because you live there but if you look at it through the eyes of someone who doesn't live there you see it.

"Sheffield is dying"? What does that even mean? If you're talking about economics then isn't that a bit melodramatic?

Well, when I used to come up here before I moved, I didn't think Sheffield was dying or doing too little too late. I thought it was great. That's why I moved here, in fact. I still think it's great. I don't want my city to 'compete' with other cities, or any of that stuff. I know people need work and what have you, but if work is created at all costs then all of us lose out.

• 3 months later...