The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Yes, I am thinking somewhere near the Morrisons and old Big W (can't remember what it is now) - Google maps suggests there's loads of space but maybe it's green belt land?

It's Boundary Mills, and yes, I thought that would be a good site too.

Yes, I am thinking somewhere near the Morrisons and old Big W (can't remember what it is now) - Google maps suggests there's loads of space but maybe it's green belt land?

Not sure. they are in process of building a massive housing estate down there ,so i assume its a brown field site.

All that land is reserved for the advanced manufacturing park, and housing for southern extent of the site.

Well that's not a problem, there's a great spot in the City Centre where they can build the Advanced Manufacturing Park and the housing... just need to ask Staples to move out first :hihi:

The spot I think you're referring to (just south of morrisons and boundary mills) would make an excellent location for an ikea however it's marsh land and it's right in the middle of HS2. I think it may also be greenbelt as strata built an estate in catcliffe 10 years ago and couldn't progress further than where they did.

I suspect you probably mean the site at Waverley which has been earmarked for 4,000 homes and the Advanced Manufacturing Park.

http://harworthestates.co.uk/portfolio/waverley/

I would also guess there would be concerns with regards to the additional traffic an IKEA would put onto the Parkway.

Regards

Doom

I suspect you probably mean the site at Waverley which has been earmarked for 4,000 homes and the Advanced Manufacturing Park. http://harworthestates.co.uk/portfolio/waverley/ I would also guess there would be concerns with regards to the additional traffic an IKEA would put onto the Parkway. Regards Doom

The same parkway out of towners would use for a staples site, but in scc's eyes, thats different!!

The same parkway out of towners would use for a staples site, but in scc's eyes, thats different!!

Out of towners would, but many of those living in the city, myself included, would use other routes to get to an IKEA on the Staples site.

I personally don't like the idea of an IKEA in the centre, I would prefer it at somewhere like the old Tinsley Wire site (as currently proposed) or just off the Parkway, as suggested above.

I did once hear a rumour that they were considering the B&Q site at Cortonwood, although I'm not convinced that was correct because the site doesn't look big enough to me.

Regards

Doom

The staples site makes no sense and the only spare land off the parkway is marshland thats already earmarked for HS2.

Think about it, the people all round sheffield dont have any other option when going to IKEA so will go to the one in sheffield regardless of its location. The high majority of customers to IKEA anyway would be using private vehicles so IKEA doesnt need the benefits of public transport in a city centre location.

If IKEA is in a city centre location then you would struggle to get people there from other towns as its already an extra 15 - 20 minutes from the M1 to the store. For example, there is no benefit to people living in barnsley as itll probably take them longer to get to the store in the centre of sheffield then it would to get to the store in Leeds.