The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Maybe they're concerned about the already congested, inadequate roads in the area, which has been mentioned on here before.

On just about any fine Saturday afternoon the Meadowhall traffic can be queued up for a good mile or so on M1 lane 1, north or southbound.

But these are just my observations of driving that way at weekends, I'm no qualified traffic expert, and more importantly, neither are you.

Was there not talk of road improvements if/when the IKEA get's the green light ?

Maybe they're concerned about the already congested, inadequate roads in the area, which has been mentioned on here before.

On just about any fine Saturday afternoon the Meadowhall traffic can be queued up for a good mile or so on M1 lane 1, north or southbound.

But these are just my observations of driving that way at weekends, I'm no qualified traffic expert, and more importantly, neither are you.

And the extra traffic heading for the Ikea would add, overall, only a small amount to the queue. Which, given the extra capacity the Highways Agency are adding via their Smart Motorway scheme, will have no real impact on the local roads off the motorway. Traffic queues on the HA's M1 are not SCC's responsibility and thus no reason for them to worry about.

like NEXT? Where all the "experts" recommended approval and ONE man decided arbitrarily to reject it?

Decisions like that aren't taken arbitrarily.

On major applications, officers make recommendations, it's politicians who decide whether or not to accept the recommendation.

And the extra traffic heading for the Ikea would add, overall, only a small amount to the queue.

Do you really think this will be the case. I guess we'll have to wait until its built before one of us can say "I told you so", but I used to live near Warrington Ikea and that whole end of town was regularly gridlocked when Ikea opened. It wasn't until the new motorway junction was built that things eased.

And the M62 motorway is 4 lanes there, one dedicated for that junction, and isn't half as busy as the M1 is, and doesn't have the Tinsley Viaduct bottleneck.

Do you really think this will be the case. I guess we'll have to wait until its built before one of us can say "I told you so", but I used to live near Warrington Ikea and that whole end of town was regularly gridlocked when Ikea opened. It wasn't until the new motorway junction was built that things eased.

And the M62 motorway is 4 lanes there, one dedicated for that junction, and isn't half as busy as the M1 is, and doesn't have the Tinsley Viaduct bottleneck.

The one at Giltbrook near Ilkeston doesn't seem to cause too much of a traffic issue..neither does the one at Gildrsome near Leeds...maybe I just pass them at the right time..

The one at Giltbrook near Ilkeston doesn't seem to cause too much of a traffic issue..neither does the one at Gildrsome near Leeds...maybe I just pass them at the right time..

I used to travel to and from Bradford a lot and the 'Ikea junction' at Birstall was a notorious bottleneck, so much so that I used to have the words 'stuck at Ikea' as a text template on my mobile :) However how much of that was due to Ikea itself and how much due to the M621 Leeds traffic I don't know. Recent changes to the whole motorway system round there seems to have calmed things down a bit.

Also I agree that Warrington Ikea was dreadful for causing traffic jams when it opened - but people do forget it was the first and for a while the only Ikea in the country, plonked halfway between two large cities (Manchester/Liverpool), so it was bound to attract a lot of custom. Nowadays it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad whenever I travel that way.

In short, I suspect that Sheffield's Ikea wouldn't be drawing anything like the traffic of the early ones - after all there's another Ikea 45 mins away in either direction on the M1.