The IKEA in Sheffield thread

I assume if Sheffield turn it down IKEA will have the right to appeal with a higher authority?

The Star link quotes;

"Ian Nicholson, IKEA Sheffield project manager, said: “We are continuing to work with Sheffield Council to enable them to support our application.”"

I'd expect that both sides have worked together to make sure the application is now acceptable to SCC. IKEA will have had to accept some changes to make sure that SCC approves the application. If it gets turned down again then something has gone seriously wrong.

I assume if Sheffield turn it down IKEA will have the right to appeal with a higher authority?

Regards

Doom

Yep, like NEXT and chances are that it will be passed with the seemingly obligatory egg on the face and costs to the council. After all they dont seem to learn anything do they?

The Star link quotes;

"Ian Nicholson, IKEA Sheffield project manager, said: “We are continuing to work with Sheffield Council to enable them to support our application.”"

I'd expect that both sides have worked together to make sure the application is now acceptable to SCC. IKEA will have had to accept some changes to make sure that SCC approves the application. If it gets turned down again then something has gone seriously wrong.

Hopefully they can make this work for all parties.

No doubt these decisions are incredibly complex and require an awful lot of documentation.

I worked on the BSF Sheffield Schools and the amount of documentation they produced was phenomenal and I would imagine something like IKEA is far more complex.

Regards

Doom

Thanks for that link. The article states

John Lewis in Barker’s Pool claims it will draw trade away from the city centre

Does anyone agree with this? From reading this thread, people just go to other branches of Ikea, and don't settle for trying to find products in the city centre.

Does anyone agree with this? From reading this thread, people just go to other branches of Ikea, and don't settle for trying to find products in the city centre.

I'm not sure which city centre shop IKEA would be competing with... as you say if people want IKEA style products then they'll be going to Birstall or Ilkeston anyway....

It's a carefully worded PR statement to gain public support.

What they really mean is "it will draw trade away from John Lewis". :roll:

this ikea saga keeps going on and on. the answer is that the government won't allow ikea to build anymore store's in the main land saying they are building to many stores, yet all the big retailers like Tesco's, Sainsbury's Morison's, all the retailers. besides that if you look at the land the market stood on it's far to small ikea needs a giant flat spot so they can display all there stock and ikea need loads of parking spaces some 2,000 at least just look at Nottingham they have thousands. I sent them an email saying what about the old Norton aerodrome that could easily fit the store with parking for hundreds of cars, another site would be the old Tesco's in chesterfield it's big enough with easy access and been empty for at least 2 years

the answer is that the government won't allow ikea to build anymore store's in the main land saying they are building to many stores

Any evidence to show this?

Plans for Ikea store in Exeter approved

Posted: January 21, 2014

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/BREAKING-Plans-Ikea-store-Exeter-approved/story-20467942-detail/story.html

Regarding the traffic issue, I found this article about concerns for traffic for another new Ikea build:

Ikea Greenwich: A flat-packed traffic nightmare to come?

http://853blog.com/2013/11/03/ikea-greenwich-a-flat-packed-traffic-nightmare-to-come/

And plenty more if you Google "ikea traffic problems".

Edited by alchresearch