The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Looks like we're getting an IKEA after all the messing about!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/ikea-wins-1-6677125

Still time for the councillors to backheel it , IKEA take it to appeal and the council waste yet more taxpayers money trying to defend their stupidity.

Dont forget they have history with things like this .

I wonder if the council had given Ikea the green light without looking at the impact of extra traffic and pollution or taking heed of the objections, would the council knockers still be having a fine old time doing them down.?

come on rossyrooney you and i know this should have happened ages a go and the council could still reject it yet dont be suprised

The biggest thread on Sheffield Forum!

Loads more posts yet to come about why is it taking so long to build and opening dates etc. :)

And then when it is built there will be the posts on how it's a bit small and how the one in Leeds is better. Loads more mileage to this thread yet. :hihi:

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Wondered what changed their minds until I read all of the article. Money from Ikea to our council for "roads and the upkeep of them in the future". Yeah! course it will be used for that.

I don't see any fuss being made about the new supermarket being built at Hillsborough and all the traffic that is going to generate, and that's near a football stadium.

Did any one else notice all the negative spin from the Star? Was that meant to stir up the objectors?

Wondered what changed their minds until I read all of the article. Money from Ikea to our council for "roads and the upkeep of them in the future". Yeah! course it will be used for that.

I don't see any fuss being made about the new supermarket being built at Hillsborough and all the traffic that is going to generate, and that's near a football stadium.

Yes it will be used for that because they can't legally use it for anything else.

The road improvements will have to be built before the store opens, as that is usually contained in the planning conditions. The money for upkeep in the future is a "commuted sum" which has to be paid to put any additional infrastructure into the Amey maintenance contract. It will pay for maintenance over the coming 25 years. Anyone, including the Council, who put anything new in the highway, have to pay this.

Sainsburys at Hillsborough are having to pay for a load of road improvements at Claywheels Lane / Penistone Rd and at Penistone Rd / Leppings Lane Roundabout.

What developers pay depends on the size of the development and its impact.

Cheap way for scc to pay for road upkeep i suppose, tho i did think thats what business rates were for, silly me, forgot, council need those for their pet projects!!

All money collected in business rates goes to the government not the council.