The IKEA in Sheffield thread

I would have thought that the lack of steel works, factories and cooling towers in that area would have made pollution far less today than in the past.

Targets must have come down(or up) since the 'good old days' tho, asking for better air than ever before.

Still you have to chuckle, these people move into houses built within spitting distance of the second (Third?) busiest road in the country, and moan about air pollution caused by a furniture store down the road

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Targets must have come down(or up) since the 'good old days' tho, asking for better air than ever before. Still you have to chuckle, these people move into houses built within spitting distance of the second (Third?) busiest road in the country, and moan about air pollution caused by a furniture store down the road :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

They live there because Its cheaper than everywhere else, why, because its right next to m1, they want clean air then move, an IKEA isn't going to be that much extra compared to m1, more traffic in 1hour than IKEA will have in a week!!

Most ikea are not located for public transport. Almost every one I have ever seen in Europe Canada USA UK Thailand are near a highway.

They all have one thing in common and that is that they can be seen from an nearby highway as you drive by.

Ikea does sell little things that could be taken on public transport but it does not seem to be their main concern or interest.

It's not so much the pollution around Tinsley it's the smell coming from Blackburn Meadows when the wind blows that way.

I can't help but think that their is more to the whole pollution story than meets the eye. After the inquiry or whatever it was stated the other week that they could see no problems with Ikea building and opening on the site, then a few well placed quotes from groups of people citing air pollution in Sheffield and quite possibly the Tinsley area being a killer started to appear. It's as if the council had been using these groups as a possible fall back excuse... conspiracy theory ?

That said would I be right in saying that Tinsley, Darnall and Attercliffe are the type of area where we have a higher than average unemployment level and that these area would benefit from the 700 jobs on offer from Ikea and the jobs from the new units being built opposite Meadowhall ?

I fear a council dirty tricks campaign somewhere down the line.... all is not cut and dried.

Targets must have come down(or up) since the 'good old days' tho, asking for better air than ever before.

Still you have to chuckle, these people move into houses built within spitting distance of the second (Third?) busiest road in the country, and moan about air pollution caused by a furniture store down the road

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

It reminds me of people who buy a house next to an airport runway then complain about the noise. :hihi:

---------- Post added 24-06-2014 at 20:10 ----------

Wonder how long it will be before it gets built and opens

When i heard the news i nearly collapsed . I can only assume that Sheffield`s cllrs must possess at least one brain cell that they share .

Or the people up near Croft racing circuit in North Yorkshire that was a former air force base complaining about the noise from the car and bike racing at weekends. The circuit was and base was there long before they were.

It's not so much the pollution around Tinsley it's the smell coming from Blackburn Meadows when the wind blows that way.

I can't help but think that their is more to the whole pollution story than meets the eye. After the inquiry or whatever it was stated the other week that they could see no problems with Ikea building and opening on the site, then a few well placed quotes from groups of people citing air pollution in Sheffield and quite possibly the Tinsley area being a killer started to appear. It's as if the council had been using these groups as a possible fall back excuse... conspiracy theory ?

That said would I be right in saying that Tinsley, Darnall and Attercliffe are the type of area where we have a higher than average unemployment level and that these area would benefit from the 700 jobs on offer from Ikea and the jobs from the new units being built opposite Meadowhall ?

I fear a council dirty tricks campaign somewhere down the line.... all is not cut and dried.

According to interview on Look North tonight there will only be 400 jobs

created for IKEA. Plus a further 200 whilst construction takes place.

Edited by bazjea

I stand corrected...

Councillors heard the store would create 400 full-time and part-time jobs once open, with 80 associated posts and 200 in construction.

Still it's another 480 jobs and when built will also be a boost to the retail park next door, bringing much needed foot fall (visitors in cars) to what I always see as an under used retail park.

Does the retail park still have any empty units ?

I stand corrected...

Still it's another 480 jobs and when built will also be a boost to the retail park next door, bringing much needed foot fall (visitors in cars) to what I always see as an under used retail park.

Does the retail park still have any empty units ?

All the units at Meadowhall retail park are occupied. The latest to be "filled" was Homebase which is now "The Range". It's not a patch on the Doncaster branch!