The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Just noticed that this thread was started over 10 years ago. Its took a while to get approval.

Mad isn't it? You have to give IKEA credit for their perseverance and money spent. They could have just as easily given up and told Sheffield customers to carry on going to Leeds or Nottingham instead.

Mad isn't it? You have to give IKEA credit for their perseverance and money spent. They could have just as easily given up and told Sheffield customers to carry on going to Leeds or Nottingham instead.

As I have said before, they think they can make money out of the folk of Sheffield, they are not a charity.

As I have said before, they think they can make money out of the folk of Sheffield, they are not a charity.

Correct, it isn't at all surprising IKEA have persevered, Sheffield fits the bill in terms of their settlement strategy. I do always wonder though, wouldn't it have been a hell of a lot easier for them to build a store next to the IKEA depot in Doncaster?

Correct, it isn't at all surprising IKEA have persevered, Sheffield fits the bill in terms of their settlement strategy. I do always wonder though, wouldn't it have been a hell of a lot easier for them to build a store next to the IKEA depot in Doncaster?

Maybe the overall plan for Donny doesn't include retail at that site...?

Yes, they have this notion that if they provide what people want, where people want it, they might make some money.

It never struck me as the ideal spot for an Ikea, I'd have thought somewhere visible from the M1 and/or Parkway and/or M18 would have been better (and actually within Rotherham's or Doncaster's control as Sheffield were being awkward), but presumably Ikea know their market better than I do.

As an afterthought - will it be visible from the M1? I suppose it probably is from the viaduct - too late to turn off by then, but it can be in the driver's mind for next time they pass.

Are there many Ikea that are visible from a motorway at such a distance that a passer-by can safely exit at the correct junction and pop in for a nosey around??

Is the one at Leeds like that?

I don't remember the one at Milton Keynes being like that, but I might have approached from another direction??

To be fair with all the news coverage it's got it doesn't need a massively prominent position, half the country know it's on it's way now.

I can't remember many other branches getting that much publicity - except for maybe the one in Jeddah.

Are there many Ikea that are visible from a motorway at such a distance that a passer-by can safely exit at the correct junction and pop in for a nosey around??

I don't remember the one at Milton Keynes being like that, but I might have approached from another direction??

To be fair with all the news coverage it's got it doesn't need a massively prominent position, half the country know it's on it's way now.

I can't remember many other branches getting that much publicity - except for maybe the one in Jeddah.

The one at Giltbrook is a long way from the m/w..well too far to be seen from it anyway..

Once you pass the Ikea at Leeds (when heading west), you've already passed the junction. I don't know how visible it is when travelling east.

The one near Nottingham is on a road leading towards the M1. It's a good few years since I've been, but I doubt you can see it from the Motorway.

But if you regularly pass the big Blue & Yellow sign, which is very recognizable, it will come to mind quickly when you are considering buying their sort of stuff. Overall though, I accept that it is convenience to major routes that matters to Ikea, not actually being on them or visible from them - that's just an added bonus. I am surprised that they went for Sheffield, as opposed to "near to Sheffield", after all the hassle they have had to gain planning.

Are there many Ikea that are visible from a motorway at such a distance that a passer-by can safely exit at the correct junction and pop in for a nosey around?
I don't know about the UK, but this one in North East France is.

Better not be speeding and have eagle-ish eyesight if you're southbound, though ;)

Easier when northbound (that second view is a couple hundred yards before start of ramp, and speed limit is lower in that section).

This unit is a "combination" retail-regional depot unit (just like the one in Donny could have been): retail floorspace is about same as Leeds, plus a small outdoor section...and it is positively dwarfed by the depot (of which it is only a small part).

Catchment includes Luxembourg, southeast Belgium and, to an extent, nearby Germany - so this may explain that.

Edited by L00b

Once you pass the Ikea at Leeds (when heading west), you've already passed the junction. I don't know how visible it is when travelling east.

I don't think its as visible Eastbound. There are a few motorway junctions in the area though so its not a great hassle to drive onto the next one.

The other Ikeas in Warrington & Manchester are also by motorways and quite visible.