The IKEA in Sheffield thread

So, the Meadowhall entertainment extension; are they having to fork out for improved infrastructure too to secure planning permission?

It's not got to that stage of planning yet, but almost certainly yes. Yes, they will.

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 13:23 ----------

I just cannot see the logic of the planning condition regarding road improvements in the area.

I cannot see the advantage of improved cycle lanes of bus/tram access to an Ikea store, ok this will contribute to access to the surrounding area, but i can only assume nearly all visits to Ikea would require a car.

These kinds of deals are not as black & white as simply being 'every penny must be spent towards helping Ikea customers to and from the store'. The deal will be £X towards local infrastructure improvements. Coincidentally, don't forget many of the people at Ikea everyday will be employees, who may very well use the tram and bikes to get to and from work. Also, don't forget the red tape - it may be all the non-private vehicle improvements are mandatory in some way.

To site this store in this already gridlocked location is madness, with junction 34 unable to cope with the masses visiting Meadowhall etc, at peak times. Add in the many regular commuters who also work in the area, this will add to an already overstretched road infrastructure.

You could say this about many places. The issue is the infrastructure though, not the developments around them. Closer to the motorway is best for this kind of place really. If it's M1 traffic you're worries about, then I can't think of many other sites which wouldn't include using this junction or the parkway anyway; same problem either way.

I am no expert, but why did SCC allow this to be approved in this location. Of the Ikeas i have visited most are attached to some smaller retail parks, but nothing compared to the scale of Meadowhall.

If SCC insist this is to be the location, why not link Euorpa Link / Shepcote Lane direct to the M1 and create a Junction 33a like they have done at Bolsover further down the M1?

SCC did the complete opposite of insist on that location. Had they not already had their fingers burnt with the NEXT Homestores application then they probably would have refused it. It was the people of Sheffield who spoke loudly in favour of 'an IKEA! AT ALL COSTS!'. There's plenty of discussion on this thread alone which consists of nothing more than countless people saying, "oh cool, an IKEA, get it built' without any thought whatsoever with regards to....

It is a travesty just waiting to happen, and gridlock will just add to an already over polluted area of the city

...this. Though I happen to think 'travesty' is a strong word. I don't think this will be as bad as people are suggesting. If you really consider the volume of retail and entertainment space at Meadowhall and along Sheffield Road, this will just be a few more drops in the ocean. It's not like a rural village having a skyscraper built in the middle of the cricket pitch.

I don't understand all the complaints about how bad this will make traffic.

As already mentioned, employees have the option of using public transport or cycling and the majority of customers will be outside of rush hour, or passing the area anyway during rush hour. Even if we assume every employee will drive, how many more cars is that anyway?

If you build absolutely anything on the land you will make the traffic worse. Surely a large warehouse type building like IKEA is actually something that will have the least affect on the area. Offices or residential would be far far worse, or are these people proposing we should never build on these patches of land again?

Edited by AlexAtkin

I don't understand all the complaints about how bad this will make traffic.

You will understand when it is there and you see it with your own eyes.

Maybe go and have a look at leeds ikea on a busy day. We stopped going there 10 years ago due to the bad traffic.

You will understand when it is there and you see it with your own eyes.

Maybe go and have a look at leeds ikea on a busy day. We stopped going there 10 years ago due to the bad traffic.

You just have to pick your times. Last time we called, an hour before closing on either Sat or Sun, there was no traffic to speak of. Drove straight in, parked close to the door, got what we needed, had a coffee at Starbucks and left.

• 3 weeks later...
Coincidentally, don't forget many of the people at Ikea everyday will be employees, who may very well use the tram and bikes to get to and from work.

Understand your logic with the rest of your post but in REALITY how many staff will be employed by IKEA, even if 50% travel by tram and bike (will actually be much less than this) and then compare against how many cars will be visiting the site each day. I don't think that argument holds much weight.