The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Understand your logic with the rest of your post but in REALITY how many staff will be employed by IKEA, even if 50% travel by tram and bike (will actually be much less than this) and then compare against how many cars will be visiting the site each day. I don't think that argument holds much weight.

There's a Don Valley Masterplan which says there should be good footpath and cycle links across the valley. Improving cycle lanes etc in the area isn't therefore necessarily about improving access to the store by cyclists, but about making sure cyclists can travel along the whole route, which will clearly become more difficult with more traffic.

Why is everyone being so negative. Yes it will be busy around that area on a Saturday afternoon, but there are so many positives! At the minute you need to travel to Leeds or Nottingham to visit IKEA, so surely it's better for the environment as people are driving less and better for Sheffield as people are spending money in the city. IKEA will also employ many local people who are likely to be using public transport.

Large retail parks can work as Gateshead and the Metrocentre is a good example.

Again, it's timing. Don't go on a Saturday afternoon!! I've been in and out on a week day evening in the Leeds IKEA and it's been fine.

Sheffield City Council should have approved this years ago!!

I can't see the problem with the Next shop... I have never seen that busy!

Why is everyone being so negative. Yes it will be busy around that area on a Saturday afternoon, but there are so many positives!

Exactly, well said. You know what? Traffic growth is actually a peculiar positive for councils - it means there's economic growth. Improvements will be/are being made to the area's infrastructure.

Why is everyone being so negative. Yes it will be busy around that area on a Saturday afternoon, but there are so many positives! At the minute you need to travel to Leeds or Nottingham to visit IKEA, so surely it's better for the environment as people are driving less and better for Sheffield as people are spending money in the city. IKEA will also employ many local people who are likely to be using public transport.

Large retail parks can work as Gateshead and the Metrocentre is a good example.

Again, it's timing. Don't go on a Saturday afternoon!! I've been in and out on a week day evening in the Leeds IKEA and it's been fine.

Sheffield City Council should have approved this years ago!!

I can't see the problem with the Next shop... I have never seen that busy!

It would have been if Ikea had let the council bully them into accepting a tiny site in the city centre to build on , a site the council have been trying to force on big retailers for years . They tried to get NEXT to take it too , but they were having none of it , hence the reason why NEXT`s planning application was turned down by the council , and they had to go to appeal for common sense to preveil .

It would have been if Ikea had let the council bully them into accepting a tiny site in the city centre to build on , a site the council have been trying to force on big retailers for years . They tried to get NEXT to take it too , but they were having none of it , hence the reason why NEXT`s planning application was turned down by the council , and they had to go to appeal for common sense to preveil .

This is what gets me with SCC. They try to pressure huge companies into filling town centre sites when the era of town centre shopping has long since passed its sell by date. What the council don't realise is that these big hitters are also big employers for our city, and should be accommodated to benefit everyone. There are some who believe the likes of IKEA and Next etc are cash guzzling conglomerates, but at the end of the day, they serve an essential purpose to both job seekers and customers. To make a company like these go through an appeal process just makes SCC look like a bunch of self obsessed would be dictators.

Just been to Ikea in Gateshead which is at the side of the Metro Centre, traffic was busy

and the Ikea car park nearly full and it's a large area.

However it only took us 5 mins to park and then later about 5 mins to get onto the

Western Bypass to drive up north towards home.

The Metro Centre and surrounding shops were heaving but everyone managed.

SCC need to get a mirror and seriously look at themselves the whole Ikea planning

or refusal is a complete farce. They should listen to their community views.

This is what gets me with SCC. They try to pressure huge companies into filling town centre sites when the era of town centre shopping has long since passed its sell by date. What the council don't realise is that these big hitters are also big employers for our city, and should be accommodated to benefit everyone. There are some who believe the likes of IKEA and Next etc are cash guzzling conglomerates, but at the end of the day, they serve an essential purpose to both job seekers and customers. To make a company like these go through an appeal process just makes SCC look like a bunch of self obsessed would be dictators.

Its a well known fact that SCC dont want any big successful businesses in Sheffield , they want to keep Sheffield uniquely "Sheffield" and thus poor for a city its size :-(