The IKEA in Sheffield thread

All this excitement for a furniture shop. Cheap, flat pack stuff at that.

Great for those it provides jobs for, but is it really so important?? How many times do you visit the other Ikeas in a year? How many times a year when this one is built?

I have to agree - popped on to this thread to see how nearly 3000 posts could be filled. Huge amount of fuss for cheap and cheerful scando-MFI

Great for those it provides jobs for, but is it really so important?? How many times do you visit the other Ikeas in a year? How many times a year when this one is built?

Lets face it, before IKEA what did we have? MFI or you could pay triple from some other companies. The last thing I bought from MFI was a wardrobe. I got it home, put it up and went to hang up my first t-shirt and the hanger was too large. It wasn't a child's wardrobe, just very small and far too small for adult hangers. Everything had to be on a slant to fit in. It was complete crap. Now, we can go to IKEA that puts effort into the design and makes cheap furniture that does the job and lasts. Its no wonder they are so successful.

Fingers crossed it will be but that was stated last year. For all we know the process is being held up by continued redesigns to fit in with the mirade of demands made by the council.highways agency/service providers etc etc. The area does seem to be 'waiting' for something to happen.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, the council never wanted it in that location anyway so no doubt will take every petty opportunity to slow the entire process down in spite.

Lets face it, before IKEA what did we have? MFI or you could pay triple from some other companies. The last thing I bought from MFI was a wardrobe. I got it home, put it up and went to hang up my first t-shirt and the hanger was too large. It wasn't a child's wardrobe, just very small and far too small for adult hangers. Everything had to be on a slant to fit in. It was complete crap. Now, we can go to IKEA that puts effort into the design and makes cheap furniture that does the job and lasts. Its no wonder they are so successful.

I get all that, although I no longer buy anything from Ikea. In fact, I'm not sure we have any items of furniture or the like from Ikea any more.

Either way, it's still just a furniture shop, but each to their own.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 13:24 ----------

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, the council never wanted it in that location anyway so no doubt will take every petty opportunity to slow the entire process down in spite.

I'm quite happy that the council will make Ikea jump through the all the hoops to get the right design and infrastructure in place.

I'm pretty sure that if the new Ikea caused traffic chaos, then this forum would be the first to complain.

It's the meatballs! I'm gonna be such a lard arse when it opens :D

IEither way, it's still just a furniture shop, but each to their own.
It's a fair bit more than that, arguably.

A ton of their kitchen accessories, storage and outdoor items is significantly cheaper, fitter-for-purpose and better-made than what you can get from the likes of B&Q, Argos, the main supermarket chains and other 'regulars' (most of which seem to exert the barest minimum of QC on made-in-china stuff...B&Q 'tin' barbecues are shocking).

Moreover, with the demise of Habitat and after the brick-retail-purging period post-2008, there's a real dearth of retail outlets for "well designed but reasonably priced" items.

We only go twice a year or thereabouts, because the stores are so far apart (we live about smack in-between the Leeds & Nottingham ones). We'd go more often if there was a more local one, for the odd good-value-for-money tidbits (garden, crockery, lights, etc. - far too cheap to warrant the trip).

Edited by L00b

Agreed with others, I like Ikea and do shop there. Manchester over the snake is usually the quickest for us to get too followed by Nottingham and then Leeds. But im not particularly looking forward to them opening in Sheffield. Pretty sure the extra traffic will not be worth the savings made by purchasing a few extra cheap items. As lets face it I am happy to travel for the big purchases.