The IKEA in Sheffield thread

What was on the site before they started building Ikea?

Can't for the life of me remember :D

TWIL - Timely Wire Industries Ltd

---------- Post added 10-04-2017 at 10:23 ----------

What was on the site before they started building Ikea?

Can't for the life of me remember :D

TWIL - Tinsley Wire Industries Ltd

Did anybody here who attended the recent assessment days at The Source, Meadowhall get a job offer and start date?

I was left a bit confused as to what type of people they were looking for as I wasn't offered anything.

I felt I had a reasonable chance having spent the last 11 years working for Boots and having over 20 years experience in customer service.

Maybe I was just too old at 43 or just over-qualified.

My friend who also has years or retail experience and has been a pub landlord didn't get offered anything either. He's in his 50s.

There was 380 jobs on offer and at the assessment 90% of the candidates were younger than me, some as young as 17.

Luckily I got offered another job the same week 2 miles from home for the same money with better hours. :)

Edited by alembic

They've got a fair bit of competition with Next Home, Home Bargains, B&M Homestore and The Range nearby. Also Argos, House of Fraser and Debenhams in Meadowhall.

All of these stores sell the same sort of stuff, Ikea just put a different spin on it.

As part of the planning restrictions imposed by Sheffield Council they've had to give over 200 parking spaces to Park & Ride

I was in Asda recently, and one of the guys on the till was telling a colleague that he was successful and heading to IKEA.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 13:44 ----------

They've got a fair bit of competition with Next Home, Home Bargains, B&M Homestore and The Range nearby. Also Argos, House of Fraser and Debenhams in Meadowhall.

All of these stores sell the same sort of stuff, Ikea just put a different spin on it.

As part of the planning restrictions imposed by Sheffield Council they've had to give over 200 parking spaces to Park & Ride

I'm not sure they're the same you know. B&M and Home Bargains are far more bargain end in terms of quality (just my opinion). Next, Debenhams and House of Fraser are higher end.

I think you're right about the Range though, although IKEA stuff tends to be better, and they'll have a larger range than the Range ironically, being a huge store.