The IKEA in Sheffield thread

The IKEA vacancies were not advertised on the Government's Job Centre Plus network so unemployyed Sheffielders had no way of knowing there were hundreds of vacancies available.

It's the usual story of big business turning to the agencies to fill their vacancies with cheap affordable labour from the continent whilst turning a blind eye to the needs of the local population in which they operate.

A friend of mine applied after being told by the job centre. The jobs were advertised but months ago and they shipped the workers to other Ikea stores for training.

The IKEA vacancies were not advertised on the Government's Job Centre Plus network so unemployyed Sheffielders had no way of knowing there were hundreds of vacancies available.

This thread is 155 pages long so I think it's fair to say there's been more than a little interest in IKEA's Sheffield store. Anybody unaware of it is probably unemployable anyway.

It's the usual story of big business turning to the agencies to fill their vacancies with cheap affordable labour from the continent whilst turning a blind eye to the needs of the local population in which they operate.

If you believe that to be true, is it beyond the capabilities of the unemployed to contact ikea directly to ask about vacancies and where they are advertising?!?

Some people want it handing to them on a plate!

Actually, jobs were advertised on Indeed, Jobsite, Reed ..etc. You just have to look hard enough.

Many of jobs went trough the recruitment agencies. It does not say IKEA as employer,(agency name is in the job description) but if you click on the job offer, it does redirect you on agency page when you can clearly see that job is in IKEA, Sheffield

Is the 1st statement sarcastic? It could be. I hope it's not serious.

The 2nd sentence really doesn't bear any scrutiny does it. The rate of pay is set for the job, it would be the same no matter where the person employed comes from.

Oh, and 90% of the employee's come from the Sheffield and S Yorks area, just not from S9.

Is the 1st statement sarcastic? It could be. I hope it's not serious.

The 2nd sentence really doesn't bear any scrutiny does it. The rate of pay is set for the job, it would be the same no matter where the person employed comes from.

Oh, and 90% of the employee's come from the Sheffield and S Yorks area, just not from S9.

I remember when they started building, they had a few very well advertised open days for the various roles. Plus, let's be honest, as has been said, it was perhaps the most publicised and high-profile store opening in Sheffield since Meadowhall itself opened. Everyone in Sheffield knew it was opening, and would have realised they'd be employing.

On a final note, I didn't see any eastern European staff when I was there. I see that was a suggestion.

If you believe that to be true, is it beyond the capabilities of the unemployed to contact ikea directly to ask about vacancies and where they are advertising?!?

Some people want it handing to them on a plate!

I have never got a job through the jobcentre. In the past I've always physically gone to the place and asked about vacancies and been given an application form.

I'm in a steady job that I've had for over 10 years now, but if in the future I found myself having to find another job I don't think that method would work any more, I'd probably be told to apply online or register with some agency. :gag:

I work for Ikea now and I'm happy with our staff.

With that being said, I do think we could have recruited more asian / minorities from the areas close to the store. I think we are underrepresented at the moment, but unfortunately I didn't have anything to do with the recruiting process.

I work for Ikea now and I'm happy with our staff.

With that being said, I do think we could have recruited more asian / minorities from the areas close to the store. I think we are underrepresented at the moment, but unfortunately I didn't have anything to do with the recruiting process.

You would also realistically need to know the numbers that applied from any specific background to consider whether there was any issue. If people from say white, middle class backgrounds applied in their droves, it's more likely that there will be a higher number of them. You can't of course specifically choose someone for their background (or rather you shouldn't, in my view). You should choose the best person for the job.