The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Went yesterday at around 1pm, was turned away due to the car park been full. Went back at 5pm and it was still busy but managed to get a parking spot after about 5 mins of driving around. Don’t know what else to say really, it’s an Ikea store, what you see is what you get. Did see a new sofa I’d like, ended up buying a new chest of drawers. Was tempted to buy a hotdog from the cafe but it was rammed. Hope it does well, as an Ikea store has been long overdue.

I’m not convinced the road “improvements”will suffice, though. Yesterday it was very busy, Christmas will be fun... Two lanes from the M1 towards the city with Meadowhall, Ikea, the retail park and Fly DSA Arena make this area a choke point.

I shall continue to go to the Nottingham store far less hassle, but for folk without a car etc its not an option.

Is affirmative action, or positive discrimination to ensure that the workforce is balanced not allowed? I'm sure it has been used in the past.

There is a tendency to say, "well, what can you do if you only get white people applying?". But there's things you can do to ensure a more diverse recruitment pool, which may be about how and where you advertise, what you say the requirements of the job are, and lots of things like that. And of course a more diverse pool is in your interests, so you don't miss the best candidate for the job.

Discrimination is illegal unless it can be "objectively justified" (there may be genuine occupational requirements, for example). There's an exception for all woman shortlists for election candidates.

But generally speaking "positive discrimination" is likely to be illegal (except I think in relation to disabled people), but "positive action" may be allowed.

"Positive action" means things which compensate for a disadvantage. So you are allowed to encourage disadvantaged groups to apply, and you can offer special training. So for example you could offer supervisor training to a minority ethnic group if members of the minority ethnic group were unrepresented among supervisors.

Appointment decisions still have to be made on merit, but assuming two candidates are equally qualified to do the job, then it is legal to offer the job to the person who, to use the language of s159 of the Equality Act 2010, is reasonably thought to suffer a disadvantage by virtue of sharing a particular protected characteristic. Or if such persons are disproportionately low participants in the activity being recruited to.

So say women are under-represented in, I don't know, penguin-wrangling. It would be permissible to put on special training for women in penguin-wrangling and to advertise where women are most likely to see the adverts. And if, at interview, it comes down to a man and woman both of whom are qualified for the penguin-wrangling role, you can legally appoint the woman rather than the man - so long as the conditions above are met.

Just one observation that will help my fellow Sheffielders

The chips in the restaurant are overcooked and are really rather horrible

That is all, as you were.

did you complain at the time ?

I shall continue to go to the Nottingham store far less hassle, but for folk without a car etc its not an option.

Agreed. Found the layout confusing and ended up walking out. Happy with Nottingham and it's not far away and all on sane level

Agreed. Found the layout confusing and ended up walking out. Happy with Nottingham and it's not far away and all on sane level

quite simple if you want to browse on the upper floor fair enough but you can skip to the marketplace which for me is far better and quicker

---------- Post added 09-10-2017 at 23:11 ----------

You were confused? Its so.easy!

so is leeds but sheffield is 50% times bigger in selling space

I found things in a slightly different order but overall signs are there to help you and they even have staff who will point you in the right direction too...

Just had a trip to the new store. I have to say it was the first and last time too. So dark and no windows. We like to browse where we like and not be ushered around with little arrows projected on the floor. Couldn't wait to get out and had to ask where the exit was. It may be big and it may be inexpensive but not for us. I'll leave it to the people who like it.