History of Hollins End.

My great grandmother, born 1874, lived in a terraced hovel on The Croft or Crofts. Her great aunt used to live there, who's claim to fame was actually seeing Wellington return in triumph from Waterloo, as a little girl sitting on her father's shoulders.

My great grandmother, born 1874, lived in a terraced hovel on The Croft or Crofts. Her great aunt used to live there, who's claim to fame was actually seeing Wellington return in triumph from Waterloo, as a little girl sitting on her father's shoulders.

The bottom of Croft Rd was all back to back housing known as the "Barracks". Walking home during the war and in an air raid I'll never forget apoliceman berating a hefty miner in one of the bottom houses in the barracks because a light was showing under the worn doorstep. The miners reply was "What dost tha think they'r cummin in, effing submarines"

The bottom of Croft Rd was all back to back housing known as the "Barracks". Walking home during the war and in an air raid I'll never forget apoliceman berating a hefty miner in one of the bottom houses in the barracks because a light was showing under the worn doorstep. The miners reply was "What dost tha think they'r cummin in, effing submarines"

Do you remember the Tudor house at the bottom of Croft Road, facing Hollinsend Road? Only in Sheffield could something of this importance be demolished.:loopy:

It's often overlooked how close are our links to the past.

There was a strikingly similar anecdote told on the wireless not that long ago. The broadcaster was saying that as a rookie reporter on his local paper he had been sent with initial reluctance to interview a Boer War veteran. The old gentleman told him that as a boy his grandfather had told him that he had watched the soldiers returning from Waterloo when he was a boy.

The broadcaster said that his hair had stood on end when he realised he was speaking to someone who had spoken to someone who had witnessed a sight straight out of the history books that had previously seemed so far in the past.

It's often overlooked how close are our links to the past.

There was a strikingly similar anecdote told on the wireless not that long ago. The broadcaster was saying that as a rookie reporter on his local paper he had been sent with initial reluctance to interview a Boer War veteran. The old gentleman told him that as a boy his grandfather had told him that he had watched the soldiers returning from Waterloo when he was a boy.

The broadcaster said that his hair had stood on end when he realised he was speaking to someone who had spoken to someone who had witnessed a sight straight out of the history books that had previously seemed so far in the past.

The other one that I remember is the late great Alistair Cooke, telling the tale of him talking to this old guy who had fought at Shiloh in 1862.

Oh, and my grandfather was presented with his marksman's award at the Totley range by Lt Col Bernard Law Montgomery in circa 1930.

The other one that I remember is the late great Alistair Cooke, telling the tale of him talking to this old guy who had fought at Shiloh in 1862.

Oh, and my grandfather was presented with his marksman's award at the Totley range by Lt Col Bernard Law Montgomery in circa 1930.

Pater told me he honed his skills at Totley when he was in the Home Guard. He was a Private Pike rather than a Corporal Jones I might add!

Pater told me he honed his skills at Totley when he was in the Home Guard. He was a Private Pike rather than a Corporal Jones I might add!

Grandad was a highly qualified signal instructor, and had to do two weeks a year secondment from the Home Guard to Cohen Barracks in Leeds. When he was taking a class rank went out of the window, an officer didn't realise this and proceeded to take the urine out of grandad. The old man ended up with the officer standing to attention and calling him sir, top man my grandad. :hihi:

Do you remember the Tudor house at the bottom of Croft Road, facing Hollinsend Road? Only in Sheffield could something of this importance be demolished.:loopy:

I agree, I've heard it said that it was one of the oldest houses in Sheffield. The roof was of stone flags and came so low at the rear onto Croft road that one could climb on it although the residents understandably were very fierce if theycaught you.

It also seemed a pity that the four old stone built cottages at the top of the Croft were demolished for semi's.

Archived