Gremlin Graphics? Where are they now?

Space

Hi Grappler,

Yes, it is a big shame!

I have involved myself a lot in this soccer game! I am very enthusiastic!

Ian Stewart gave me the rights to obtain the code in 2011. Today the Actua Soccer IP is still in Ian Stewarts hands! He is still in the game business; Urbanscan. His company is the owner of all rights to Actua Soccer. As CEO of Zoo Digital they acquired the old Gremlin games back from ATARI, but from what I know they never got the codes from them!

I was in contact with Mr Richard Stevenson from 2009 until 2012. He had the source code in hand, but he has not yet handed it over to me. We had a large post on Facebook including many of the previous programmers and artists which worked for Gremlin Interactive with the disks including the code. He got the code on his computer in Sheffield, but sadly I have not got it yet. :/ So I try to get it in another way instead. It seems to be quite hopeless, as I have tried for 10 years now to get it...

Maybe if Rich Stevenson sees this he may see you have the blessing of Ian to have the code, who knows.

If Infogrames/Atari did indeed throw away all the source code, that would indeed be a shame.

There are other people connected with the game who may be able to shed some light on it, I will see if I can get in touch with them.

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 19:56 ----------

You mean he developed his own games? Which ones did he create?

lets just say they was all his own work ;)

Hi dear Grappler,

Do you best to get in touch with those you know. It would be very nice if you are willing to help me out. :)

I have spoken to more of them then mentioned in my previous email. I also have spoken to Sie Barlow, Asad Habib, Andy Campbell, Ian Stones, James North-Hearn amongst others.

I do not know about Richard. I have told his friends back in the Gremlin period to contact him. He has told them several times to send me the back ups he got, but he has not done it... I do not think he ever will, as I last spoke to him 18 months ago...

ATARI still got the assets to VR Soccer (The American version of Actua Soccer), but there is no source codes from what I know. Is there any possibility to get in touch with the lawyers or whatever persons that deals with the ATARI assets? I do not believe VR Soccer will be the biggest sale for them! :D

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 22:17 ----------

If anyone knows anything about the period in 2003 when Infogrames went into banrupcy and what happened to the stuff inside the building it would be interesting to know!

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 10:03 ----------

Please remember that ATARI Inc is an American company. While ATARI SA which is an French franchise is another company. ATARI wore owned by Infogrames Entertainment SA, but in 2008 they changed to ATARI SA to get rid of the confusions. Well I am confused myself :D ...

As a cause of this I think ATARI SA will hold the assets for the Actua Soccer versions released elsewhere under another name. (It would be VR Soccer, RAN Soccer, Fotball Feber amongst others)

Edited by ThomasAa

Hey all,

I know this is a long-shot but does anyone know the where-abouts of any ex Gremlin Graphics games programmers? I'm mainly looking for Peter Harrap who designed and programmed the 'Monty Mole' series on the Spectrum...

I'm not sure if they are working under a new guise now or if they have given up the programming business completely...

They used to be based in the late 80's/early 90's on Carver Street and am not sure if they merged with French developers Infogrammes.

Thanks in advance,

sPaCe

Gremlin were bought by French Company Infogramme who bought the name Atari; which is no longer.

I believe that Pete Harrap now works for Sumo Digital as do some other Gremlin people.. Part of the F1 Group whose Director is James Northearn. I hope this is helpful?

Edited by catpus
additional information

Gremlin Interactive Limited was acquired by Infogrames Entertainment SA (French) in 1999. They made a own company for the Green house (Which was the same building that the office Gremlin had!) and called it Infogrames Studio Ltd. In 2003 they did go into bankruptcy, but as ATARI did own Infogrames the assets moved on to them! :)

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 10:12 ----------

http://www.giantbomb.com/atari-sa/3010-548/

http://www.mobygames.com/company/infogrames-studios-ltd

Edited by ThomasAa

Gremlin were bought by French Company Infogramme who bought the name Atari; which is no longer.

I believe that Pete Harrap now works for Sumo Digital as do some other Gremlin people.. Part of the F1 Group whose Director is James Northearn. I hope this is helpful?

That would be Foundation 9 I think.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 12:36 ----------

Hi dear Grappler,

Do you best to get in touch with those you know. It would be very nice if you are willing to help me out. :)

I have spoken to more of them then mentioned in my previous email. I also have spoken to Sie Barlow, Asad Habib, Andy Campbell, Ian Stones, James North-Hearn amongst others.

I do not know about Richard. I have told his friends back in the Gremlin period to contact him. He has told them several times to send me the back ups he got, but he has not done it... I do not think he ever will, as I last spoke to him 18 months ago...

ATARI still got the assets to VR Soccer (The American version of Actua Soccer), but there is no source codes from what I know. Is there any possibility to get in touch with the lawyers or whatever persons that deals with the ATARI assets? I do not believe VR Soccer will be the biggest sale for them! :D

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 22:17 ----------

If anyone knows anything about the period in 2003 when Infogrames went into banrupcy and what happened to the stuff inside the building it would be interesting to know!

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 10:03 ----------

Please remember that ATARI Inc is an American company. While ATARI SA which is an French franchise is another company. ATARI wore owned by Infogrames Entertainment SA, but in 2008 they changed to ATARI SA to get rid of the confusions. Well I am confused myself :D ...

As a cause of this I think ATARI SA will hold the assets for the Actua Soccer versions released elsewhere under another name. (It would be VR Soccer, RAN Soccer, Fotball Feber amongst others)

I don't think that Interplay or Fox Sports Interactive ever had the source to VR Soccer, etc.

If you have contacted all of the people you say, and gotten nowhere, then I think the chances of getting the source code is getting slimmer.

Hi Grappler,

Interplay was just publisher of VR Soccer.

Also the Norwegian version "Fotball Feber" released by Add-On and the German version "RAN Soccer" released by GreenWood Entertainment was also just publishers! Gremlin Interactive Ltd programmed and kept everything..

If there should be any chance it would be ATARI, but as all the UK-based offices are closed I doubt it!

Well Richard Stevenson got a back up. I do not know if the source code he got are the end product, and probably not, but the EURO96 he got contains the full 3d engine and all 3d completed...

If you know anyone that could be contacted it would be great. Adrian Carless and Kevin Dudley, Ashley Bennett, Jim Tebbut and some few others I have not been able to get in touch with yet...

I got an long article which you can get if you like to. Send PM with your email. ;)

Edited by ThomasAa

Hi Grappler,

Interplay was just publisher of VR Soccer.

Also the Norwegian version "Fotball Feber" released by Add-On and the German version "RAN Soccer" released by GreenWood Entertainment was also just publishers! Gremlin Interactive Ltd programmed and kept everything..

If there should be any chance it would be ATARI, but as all the UK-based offices are closed I doubt it!

Well Richard Stevenson got a back up. I do not know if the source code he got are the end product, and probably not, but the EURO96 he got contains the full 3d engine and all 3d completed...

If you know anyone that could be contacted it would be great. Adrian Carless and Kevin Dudley, Ashley Bennett, Jim Tebbut and som few others I have not been able to get in touch with yet...

The last thing I heard, Ade Carless was living in Canada.

I know all the other companies just published locally.

Richard Stevenson is not in the games industry anymore, but I think I know how to get in touch with him.

I take it your interest in the code is commercial/business?

That would be Foundation 9 I think.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 12:36 ----------

I don't think that Interplay or Fox Sports Interactive ever had the source to VR Soccer, etc.

If you have contacted all of the people you say, and gotten nowhere, then I think the chances of getting the source code is getting slimmer.

You are right I should have said F9? :+//