And finally some good news for those of us who care about the planet

Is it legal to attach a wind turbine to a residential property, I don't mean one of the huge titans that they stick out at sea, the smaller versions like Castle College have?

If it was then people could recycle car parts and make their own wind turbines.

Yes but planning permission would be needed first.

I've often wondered how much those would generate in a fair wind, anyone know?

The population growth rate is in decline.

That's true. A quick google tells me that the latest scientific projections predict population in 2050 at a mere 9.2 billion and with a continuing slow down of the rate of increase.

These figures may turn out to be wildly innacurate though, because there is strong evidence that the complex systems which have developed to provide food and water for so many are showing signs of strain already, and could collapse, resulting in a rapid reduction in population numbers.

I see various departments refused to accept the recommendations of the Committee on Climate Change on emissions cuts unless they were offered a get out clause.

Agreement has now been reached.

"The targets will be reviewed if European nations backslide"

European nations are already backsliding on their own targets, making that a pretty rock solid get out clause. Smoke and mirrors, as usual.

I see various departments refused to accept the recommendations of the Committee on Climate Change on emissions cuts unless they were offered a get out clause.

Agreement has now been reached.

So it looks like the LibDems and Conservatives have ignored the advice of the environment committee unlike Labour, after all. And this victory for the planet.... is more like a step backwards in terms of setting the precedent that the advice of the relevant experts on policy on that committee can be watered down. The Op claiming this as a victory for the LibDems is rather a long way wide of the mark.

Another senior government figure said: "This country is now the world leader in cutting carbon emissions. We are the only nation with legally binding commitments past 2020."

Great news :rolleyes:

Jobs Fear Over Carbon Tax

Tuesday, 03 May 2011 08:43 The Times & The Star .Thousands of jobs could be at risk in South Yorkshire, MPs and steel workers’ union fear if the Government imposes a tax on carbon dioxide emissions which would hit industries including steel and glass manufacturing.

The trade unionists, plus Labour politician Angela Smith who represents Penistone and Stocksbridge, and Rotherham MP Denis MacShane, believe the plans could prompt some firms to move overseas where costs would be lower.

Mr MacShane and Ms Smith, plus representatives of steel workers’ union Community, met Environment Minister Greg Baker to lobby against the plans.

Ms Smith told Mr Baker 2,000 jobs in her constituency depend on steelworks, ceramic pipe manufacturer Hepworths and glass-makers.

She said the tax means electricity costs will increase dramatically, adding: “UK steel producers reckon the industry will have to pay an extra £16.2 million in 2013/2014 and a whopping extra £32.3 million in 2015/16.”

Mr MacShane, whose constituency includes the massive former Corus works at Parkgate, now owned by Indian conglomerate Tata, added: “We all support de-carbonising the economy but not de-industrialising the economy. The Government is proposing a killer tax which no other EU member state is bringing in. It will hit steel, glass and ceramic firms hard."

So it looks like the LibDems and Conservatives have ignored the advice of the environment committee unlike Labour, after all. And this victory for the planet.... is more like a step backwards in terms of setting the precedent that the advice of the relevant experts on policy on that committee can be watered down. The Op claiming this as a victory for the LibDems is rather a long way wide of the mark.

The story is unfolding. My thread was started when the story broke. I dont have a crystal ball and am unable to predict the behaviour of the people involved in the situation.Even a day is a long time in politics

Archived