Car engine - advise please

Hi, I have a 2006 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI deisel. Was absolutly fine up until today. Went to use it ealier and after turning it on there is a really loud kind of rattling noise coming from the engine.

I have popped the bonnet and the noise seems to be coming from a belt on the front of the engine (fan belt is it?). Now as you can probably guess I do not know much about cars.

Obviosly it needs checking out by a garage but I am just wondering if any knowledgable person might have an idea as to what it is and if it is adviseable to drive it to a garage or get it picked up (dont want to make it worse)?

Thanks

I wouldn't drive it until you have some-one with slightly more knowledge look at it, the noise is more than likely being caused by something metal on metal. The most obvious things would be the alternator has come loose and so the blades are catching, the other possibility is a loose exhaust pipe . There are obviously other things but those two are easy enough to spot and check but as I said get some-one with a bit more know-how

Archived