Learning to swim a full length of Park Baths in 1954

Hi Cuttsie,

Hilarious story Cuttsie but have you got the date wrong? I started at Prince Edward Seniors after leaving Stand House School in 1940 and learnt to swim at Woodthorpe Baths where we went every Wednesday afternoon after walking through the fields.

However I remember going to Park Baths during the school holidays and still shudder at the thought of that horrible foot bath, and yes I also got verrucas.

Hi Cuttsie,

Hilarious story Cuttsie but have you got the date wrong? I started at Prince Edward Seniors after leaving Stand House School in 1940 and learnt to swim at Woodthorpe Baths where we went every Wednesday afternoon after walking through the fields.

However I remember going to Park Baths during the school holidays and still shudder at the thought of that horrible foot bath, and yes I also got verrucas.

Hello multi, We sometimes also walked to Woodthorpe but our mob usualy had to go to Park were i eventually got my one and only Swimming certificate a full length 25 yards .Swimming to me means if i fall in the water i won,t drown so another valuable lesson learnt at Prince Bloody Edwards more to follow!

• 2 months later...

Hi cuttsie had to reply I left Prince edwards in 1953 at the time old man Gratton use to take the class for swimming on friday morning at Park bath, but I was lucky I use to go to special training every morning to Woodthorpe Baths the instructor there was Mr Hardy who sadly died at the age of 42 also

I do not know if you know but some of us won the Kay Shield that year the names was Brian Cooper,Michael and Myself Terry Simonite,this was won at

Glossop Road Baths it was a relay team effect.As for Old man Gratton I thought he was teacher when you realy got to know him.

P.S Sorry if I do not agree{he could be tyrant when he wanted to be}

Thanks for for the memmory

Hi cuttsie had to reply I left Prince edwards in 1953 at the time old man Gratton use to take the class for swimming on friday morning at Park bath, but I was lucky I use to go to special training every morning to Woodthorpe Baths the instructor there was Mr Hardy who sadly died at the age of 42 also

I do not know if you know but some of us won the Kay Shield that year the names was Brian Cooper,Michael and Myself Terry Simonite,this was won at

Glossop Road Baths it was a relay team effect.As for Old man Gratton I thought he was teacher when you realy got to know him.

P.S Sorry if I do not agree{he could be tyrant when he wanted to be}

Thanks for for the memmory

I remember one good swimmer who,s surname was White and he went on to do trials etc.

I also new the Simonite,s at Prince Edwards one of them used to be associated with the Arundel Club in some capacity.

As for Gratton i think if you were well dressed then he tended to treat you a little better, But my experience was different .I remember on one occasion when i was very proud of my new eye spy badge [remember them] well he asked ? me to read out loud in front of class and the sentence was as follows= The workman's brazier was glowing brightly. Unfortunately for me and my spelling i read the word as Brassier . Gratton went daft telling me that a brassier was something a woman wears and dragged me out in front of the class who were in hysterics at my clanger.

He then ripped the eye spy badge of my lapel and stamped on it .

He was a t--t as far as i am concerned but to others i know he acted differently.

You've made my day again Cuttsie. What a laugh. Topten's right, you should write a book. My Mum used to knit those swimming costumes with holes round the waistline to thread elastic through. My brother still fumes when he talks about it.

Some iffy swimmers needed a sweeping brush held in front of them while setting off from the deep end, just in case. I felt proud to have done a length without the need for one.

I used to jump off the top splash before I could swim but one day I misjudged it and couldn't reach the side, pure panic got me to safety somehow. The rashness of youth.

Archived