Help me with a KA problem

I realise I am likely to look very stupid by the end of this, but...

I noticed my Ka had a pool of oil under it and, upon lifting the bonnet, I have noticed there is a large tank that has no lid (and there is a lot of oil sloshed around the underside of the bonnet).

I did have a look at the oil a few weeks ago but I could have sworn I checked the dipstick and then, for good measure, poured a tiny bit down the dipstick shute. I certainly wouldn't have gone looking in random tanks.

So my question is (fellow Ka owners), the dipstick is where it is, at its bottom right corner is a large tank, small opening at the top left. Is that where oil goes (and does the cap have a picture of an oil can on it lol?)? Our MOT is due this weekend, will the garage be able to find a cap or should I warn them?

No oil warning light yet, so I will minimise my mileage!

Words fail me.

If there's oil coming out of your engine due to a hole being there, then obviously something is missing. It's no good 'minimising' your mileage, as any mileage of any kind could cause a potentially fatal accident if your car's spewing oil all over the road, especially for motorcyclists.

All very amusing. I'm a biker who also has a car, and given how much oil my bike leaks when it is on its stand I didn't bat an eyelid at the odd small dribbles from the parked car.

I passed my test... god knows how long ago, but have only been driving for a few months. Incidently, after thinking it over I don't think I did put oil down the dipstick shute, I think I just considered it as I wasn't sure which of the half dozen caps was the oil one. But given I clearly removed the oil one I obviously found a picture of an oil can on it or such. I should perhaps have known how to maintain the car before I got in it.

It goes to a garage this weekend so they can sort a cap if I haven't found the original by then (I did my checks at my mums as she had more space outside and everything was blowing around, I'm hoping it is just in a hedge with any luck!)

And the 2 people who have driven into me since I started driving (and the half dozen or so who have knocked me off my bike over the years) probably knew where their oil went. Inability to maintain vehicle =/= inability to drive. I can strip my bike to the bolts, it hasn't made me a better biker.

Archived