Bitcoins - the new currency?

There are lots of Cryptocurrencies out there now vying for supremacy.It's a very complex business and lots will stand to get their fingers burnt. Some people will always find ways to hide their wealth from governments, Swiss bank accounts (now rumbled),Gold,Art and various other treasures...............I could be wrong,but I still think Gold will be there when the Cryptos are long gone despite their seeming benefits and current popularity!

I wonder if they were saying libraries will still be there when this new-fangled internet thing started taking off...

While I'd expect the nature and dominance of particular cryptos to change and evolve over time; I can't see them going away...

I also think generally, they've a very good thing. They're decentralised and putting people back in control, rather than governments and financial institutions.

By the way; geared, isn't the block size for new bitcoin cash, up to 8MB? Also, am I correct in understanding it implements SegWit, but regular bitcoin doesn't, yet. Is that correct?

This is what I love about the sharing economy, the empowering nature of technology which allows individuals to interact and do businesses with one another without having to be molested by the banks or their bouncers.

I wonder if they were saying libraries will still be there when this new-fangled internet thing started taking off...

While I'd expect the nature and dominance of particular cryptos to change and evolve over time; I can't see them going away...

I also think generally, they've a very good thing. They're decentralised and putting people back in control, rather than governments and financial institutions.

By the way; geared, isn't the block size for new bitcoin cash, up to 8MB? Also, am I correct in understanding it implements SegWit, but regular bitcoin doesn't, yet. Is that correct?

........it's a more legalized form of the black market to hide your money,the Governments will have to step in at some point to regulate or economies will be sunk,............not to say the Cryptos don't have a place,but at the moment it's like the Wild West and I can see many getting shot out of the saddle!

---------- Post added 10-08-2017 at 19:04 ----------

..." They're decentralised and putting people back in control, rather than governments and financial institutions."

.......sounds attractive till you think about it................putting "the people" back in control would end up a nightmare,and I am certainly not a fan of financial institutions, or egocentric political careerists!

Bitcoins just reached $1000 each.

When I started this thread in May 2011 they were 30 cents each. If I had kept the 197 Bitcoins I bought back then I would have $197,000 (or £121,000).

Oh well...

And they would be worth £583,000 now :|

Cgksheff,

Thank you very much. I thought it was separate- so didn't look hard enough.

"Over the next five to ten years bitcoin could fly past $380k a coin.

That’s a 14,000% vertical lift-off that could make you rich – filthy rich...

The kind of move that would turn just £500 into £70,000 " (Fri 11th August 2017. Capital and Conflict ).

How true can that be ?

Edited by petemcewan