Bitcoins - the new currency?

The ISP that issued that IP address at that time. The police would then seize his IT equipment, etc... Although if all the transactions were recorded then you could just jump straight back to whichever point you were interested in.

A digital payment of any kind is always going to be more traceable than cold hard cash.

Dangerous in that if you're holding some of them they might turn out to be worthless tomorrow. But I can't see how it's dangerous in any significant way to the fabric of society or anything like that.

Anyone determined to hide transfers of cash can use fake ID and western union, or just give you a wad of notes.

Dangerous in that if you're holding some of them they might turn out to be worthless tomorrow. But I can't see how it's dangerous in any significant way to the fabric of society or anything like that.

Anyone determined to hide transfers of cash can use fake ID and western union, or just give you a wad of notes.

Dangerous to the fabric of society in that it is more open to the abuses of money laundering, payment for illegal activities, or avoiding taxes.

Same could be said for cash to a certain extent, but the money laundering rules have put paid to a lot of that. In fact we now have criminals setting up pretend businesses, and declaring pretend income to pay unnecessary taxes, simply to legitimise their ill gotten gains.

Any third-party currency outside the control of government is bound to be stopped in its tracks if it becomes popular, at least if it becomes more than some local voucher scheme.

No more so than cash is.

Money laundering has existed for at least a century, it's not a new idea.

The government have no need to do anything to stop it, it's destined to fail due to design. Nor can I see how they really could stop it, if you want to give money away for magic bean tokens then that's up to you.

The ISP that issued that IP address at that time. The police would then seize his IT equipment, etc... Although if all the transactions were recorded then you could just jump straight back to whichever point you were interested in.

A digital payment of any kind is always going to be more traceable than cold hard cash.

If someone wants to be circumspect, they can just route their traffic through the TOR network.

It all depends on how hard you work to keep your bitcoin identity decoupled from your other internet identities. It can be done.

If the IP address is hashed into the bitcoin then the routing doesn't really matter, depending on which end does that hashing I suppose.

I don't believe it is - only bitcoin related stuff is recorded in the transaction hashes, the ip is irrelevant to bitcoin.