White Gold problem

hi all,

can anyone give me a little bit of advice on a problem i am having.

the engagement ring i bought my fiance went yellow with only 4 months worth of wear. the shop were happy to have the ring re rhodium plated but now 3 months later the ring once again looks to be going yellow.

i paid a shed load of money for the ring and im pretty unhappy with the quality. every shop i have spoken to about the lifespan of a white gold ring say they should last at least 18-24 months before needing a new rhodium plating.

i must admit i was a bit naive when i bought the ring as i didn't know that white gold was really yellow gold mixed with another alloy covered in rhodium. knowing what i do now, i wouldn't buy white gold again.

am i in my rights to ask for my money back as they have had one chance to fix the fault but haven't done so.

i paid a shed load of money for the ring and im pretty unhappy with the quality. every shop i have spoken to about the lifespan of a white gold ring say they should last at least 18-24 months before needing a new rhodium plating.

I have never heard that before, why would someone buy a ring that needed to go back to the job every 2 years ……… surely that comes under not being fit for purpose.

i dont see how this could be wear and tare as the ring only stayed white for a few months. the other half doesn't wear it when washing up etc already.

jewellery like everything else must have a period of time it is guaranteed for.

I have never heard that before, why would someone buy a ring that needed to go back to the job every 2 years ……… surely that comes under not being fit for purpose.

that was my thought. other products are covered but i just wanted to be sure of my position before taking it up with the shop.

Why buy a plated ring that's supposed to be worn daily?

Our wedding rings are white gold, but they're pale yellow as I expected white gold to be, and have never changed colour

white gold is brilliant white (silver) but goes light yellow as the rhodium plating wears off over time.

my issue is the amount of time before it goes yellow. is 3-4 months really acceptable for a product that is supposed to be worn for a lifetime?

My rings are white gold, as far as I'm aware they are not "plated" with anything and so far haven't changed colour in three years. Where did you buy the rings from? I was under the impression that all gold jewellery is actually a mixture of metals of varying amounts, but plating is a different thing.

My rings are white gold, as far as I'm aware they are not "plated" with anything and so far haven't changed colour in three years. Where did you buy the rings from? I was under the impression that all gold jewellery is actually a mixture of metals of varying amounts, but plating is a different thing.

It seems so .........

White gold is an alloy of gold and at least one white metal, usually nickel, manganese or palladium. Like yellow gold, the purity of white gold is given in karats.

White gold's properties vary depending on the metals and proportions used. As a result, white gold alloys can be used for many different purposes; while a nickel alloy is hard and strong and therefore good for rings and pins, gold-palladium alloys are soft, pliable and good for white gold gemstone settings, sometimes with other metals like copper, silver, and platinum for weight and durability, although this often requires specialized goldsmiths.

The term white gold is used very loosely in the industry to describe karat gold alloys with a whitish hue. Many believe that the color of the rhodium plating, which is seen on many commercial pieces, is actually the color of white gold. The term "white" covers a large spectrum of colors that borders or overlaps pale yellow, tinted brown, and even very pale rose. The jewelry industry often hides these off-white colors by rhodium plating.

Archived