White Gold problem

• 2 weeks later...

Update: We took the ring back to Leslie Davis in Meadowhall yesterday and was greeted with two very unhelpful women. they claimed that the yellowing over 2 - 3 months is normal wear and tear and so there is nothing wrong with the ring.

even after being told that the sales of goods act says it should be of satisfactory quality and we have been to other jewelers who say the ring should not of yellowed, they stuck to their guns and refused to budge. they eventually took the ring to be sent to their head office quality control but this will take up to 4 weeks.

needless to say we are pretty peed off about it all as the wedding is in 3 months and until we have the ring or a replacement we cannot decide on the wedding bands.

let this be a warning to anyone thinking of buying white gold, and especially anyone thinking of buying from Leslie Davis, they seem to think that white gold should only last a few months and its acceptable for it to go yellow in such a short period of time. they are as nice as pie when you are spending thousands of pounds but when you want any level of after care, they are about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

Sorry to hear of your problems. The best thing to do is to drip (lead free) solder all over the ring. This may not have the aesthetics of white gold. but shouldn't rub off and will protect your ring.

When you have tired of the new looks just heat the ring up and the solder should melt off.

I've had a ring since my 21st birthday (4.5 years) and it has only just started to yellow slightly, its hardly noticeable.

I wasn't aware that rings sold as white gold were plated with anything, I just assumed that as white gold is a mixture of gold and something else, that I was imaging the yellowing.

My white gold wedding ring and engagement rings have been re-plated 3 times in 18 months but my hubby's has stayed it's usual colour. His is 'brushed' white gold though. It is a bit pants to be honest but what can you do? Mine were expensive too but i'm getting close to buying a normal yellow gold wedding band.

I have a white gold chain with diamond pendant, bought from H L Brown jewellers. The chain dulled in no time at all and looked like a tarnished imitation silver chain. The jewellers replaced it but that one went the same. I ended up buying a SILVER chain and putting the pendant on that. I wont ever buy anything in white gold now.

My wedding band is nearly three and it's the colour it was when it was bought and I have never taken it off for anything, I even managed to spill nail varnish on it! My engagement ring is over ten years old and its colour hasn't altered either, both are white gold.

Not trying to be daft here ... what's the point in buying something made of gold, then having it plated to look silver? :huh:

Surely a ring is supposed to be eternal ... if you want a silver coloured ring why not choose platinum ... it'll last forever as being silver coloured (unlike silver) or gold which will be forever gold coloured, as in all the stuff that's 3000 odd years old that's dug out of the ground and looks as good as the day it was made after a quick rinse down.

Not trying to be daft here ... what's the point in buying something made of gold, then having it plated to look silver? :huh:

Surely a ring is supposed to be eternal ... if you want a silver coloured ring why not choose platinum ... it'll last forever as being silver coloured (unlike silver) or gold which will be forever gold coloured, as in all the stuff that's 3000 odd years old that's dug out of the ground and looks as good as the day it was made after a quick rinse down.

in my defense i was never told that white gold would change colour. i just assumed white gold was just that, white. it wasnt until we started looking at wedding bands that the topic of white gold came up and other jewallers told us what white gold really is.

i think people are starting to realise how bad white gold can be as palladium appears to be replacing it slowing as the cheaper option to platinum, which is a lot more expensive. for example the platinum version of the ring we have is nearly £800 more expensive.

I never knew white gold changed colour or needed anything doing to it to keep it looking nice.

I've had my engagement ring 41 Years and my wedding ring 37 years, and neither of them look any different now, despite wearing them every day no matter what.

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I never take my rings off.

The only thing that has happened is that the edge of both rings has worn a bit smooth where they have rubbed against each other over the years.

Archived