Are we responsible for our own circumstances?

Didn't I just say some people will settle for anything?

Thats not the same thing though. It is all about what is important to the individual.

To some people material things are important and to a degree they may never be able to have all the things they believe they want.

To others quality of life is achieved by other means, such as self fulfillment and as though that is within their reach if they go down the right path.

Yes but some people will settle for anything and who are you anyway?

Some people will, yes.

Others just don't want/need as much as others. Lots of people want Iphones, 60" TV, a flash car, gold chains.

Some people want less materialistic things which tend to be easier to come by.

I think it's more a question of WHAT each individual values than what they will settle for.

Anyway, it's all your fault.

Guest sibon
This.

Life is definitely what you make it.

Everyone should take responsibility for their own circumstances (within reason).

It is the "within reason" bit that is the key.

Most people are undoubtedly responsible for their own circumstances and generally get what they deserve. Most of these people make plenty of their opportunities too.

We mustn't forget that there are a substantial number of people who get off to a bad start through poor parenting or poor education. There are also those who experience difficulties later through accidents to themselves or loved ones, or for a number of other complex reasons.

It should be a mark of a civillised society that we take care of these people and seek ways to help them to overcome their disadvantages, so that they too can be responsible for their own circumstances.

Realistically? That rather implies that there is some obstruction down the line doesn't it?

No, it means I know how much work I'm prepared to do to get what I want, and some things aren't important enough or worth it to me.

Realistic means not expecting to be given something for no effort on my part.

No, it means I know how much work I'm prepared to do to get what I want, and some things aren't important enough or worth it to me.

Realistic means not expecting to be given something for no effort on my part.

Who said anything about not making an effort?

Okay, here's a list of groups of people who constantly blame another for all the ills in the world.

Feminists - Men

Unions - Thatcher

Muslims - Israel

Of course the list on the right have some responsibility for the effect they've had on the other but they too must accept that their actions have encouraged an opposite reaction from the list on the right.

There's little or no middle ground...

Who said anything about not making an effort?

I assumed that was the reason you don't have everything you want? Or is that not the case?

To some extent yes but remember life is not what you make it. In most circumstances life is what OTHER PEOPLE let you make it, otherwise we'd all have everything we want ... and that certainly isn't the case.

What don't you have that you want, and what effort have you made that would realistically allow you to get it?

Archived