Are we responsible for our own circumstances?

I would say yes, if you let yourself be used and take it then well. We have free will and don't always use it. Week people blame others for their probs on the whole. I have little work at mo and little cash, but I will get out of the dodo one way or another. No benefits for me I'm self employed.

A lot of what has been mentioned appears to have been about material gain.

Due to the nature of a course I am studying, I have come to discuss much about personal responsibility, and circumstances. Of that variety, ie the non-material aspect, I believe that everything is within our control. It is down to us whether or not we allow what other people say or do to affect how we respond, and react. We can change our behaviour to either accommodate other people's opinions etc, or ignore them. As a result, our circumstances may change accordingly.

A lot of what has been mentioned appears to have been about material gain.

Due to the nature of a course I am studying, I have come to discuss much about personal responsibility, and circumstances. Of that variety, ie the non-material aspect, I believe that everything is within our control. It is down to us whether or not we allow what other people say or do to affect how we respond, and react. We can change our behaviour to either accommodate other people's opinions etc, or ignore them. As a result, our circumstances may change accordingly.

I agree.S + B = O

Okay, here's a list of groups of people who constantly blame another for all the ills in the world.

Feminists - Men

Unions - Thatcher

Muslims - Israel

Of course the list on the right have some responsibility for the effect they've had on the other but they too must accept that their actions have encouraged an opposite reaction from the list on the right.

There's little or no middle ground...

Here's another list of people who blame others for all the ills of the world:

Men - feminists

Thatcher - Unions

Israel - The Arab world (rather than Muslims per se)

See, it works both ways.

This is another explanation.Cause and Effect.

http://www.sgi-uk.org/index.php/buddhism/9thconsciousness

Particulary paid attention to this bit.

The delusion that the 7th consciousness is ones true self is fundamental ignorance, a turning away from the interconnectedness of all being. It is this sense of oneself as separate that gives rise to discrimination, destructive arrogance, and the acquisition of material possessions and wealth that far surpass what any one human being could possibly need.

The eighth consciousness is a vast storehouse of all the causes and effects which affect the way that the world comes to us. It is where we accumulate our karma, both positive and negative. It accounts for our looks, our circumstances, our reactions, our good or bad fortune, our work, our relationships, our health, in fact, every aspect of living. As causes are made in thought or word or deed, so internal effects are stored in this level of consciousness.

Here's another list of people who blame others for all the ills of the world:

Men - feminists

Thatcher - Unions

Israel - The Arab world (rather than Muslims per se)

See, it works both ways.

That's my point, please see my other thread:D

I assumed that was the reason you don't have everything you want? Or is that not the case?

What don't you have that you want, and what effort have you made that would realistically allow you to get it?

It doesn't matter what it is. Whatever you want or try to get there will always be someone trying to stop you for whatever reason. Look at Hitler, for example, he wanted living room for germanic people, possibly the entire world and he didn't like Jews. He tried to get what he wanted and come a cropper.

It doesn't matter what it is.

It matters a great deal when viewed in relation to your original statement. That you can't offer anything substantial other than the completely off field, completely unusual example below simply shows you're wrong for the vast majority of people.

Whatever you want or try to get there will always be someone trying to stop you for whatever reason. Look at Hitler, for example, he wanted living room for germanic people, possibly the entire world and he didn't like Jews. He tried to get what he wanted and come a cropper.

OK, if what you want from life is to mass murder people and lead a life of criminality, then yes, other people won't allow you to do that, though I'm pretty sure the thread isn't about allowing mass murderers to go about their business unimpeded.

You seem to be grasping at straws.

Archived