Are we responsible for our own circumstances?

You are missing the point though - someone else had changed what your circumstances would otherwise be, so they are partially responsible for your new circumstances.

Then you still have a choice to do something else. Again, life is what you make it.

Whether you can then go and do something else is entirely irrelevant.

The fact that you can go on and change your life (for better or worse) proves that life is what you make of it, it's completely relevant.

I'm not the one grasping at straws.

Whichever you choose, it's your choice. No-one is holding a gun to your head either way.

I could choose neither, which (good or bad) is my choice, thus life *is* what you make of it.

Thanks for proving my point for me ;)

Your choice is to sell me your goods or go out of business, which would it be?

Whichever it would be, it would be my choice, and thus any change in my life would be because of a decision I made. Thus my life is what I make of it.

That is never going to be the choice unless you happen to be especially narrow minded. It was explained clearly to you in post #38.

38 is all your fingers and toes, plus your sister's fingers and toes, less the ones that you shot off.

There is no doubt about it that some people are just stuck in a cycle of blaming their own lack of vision or motivation on this that and the other.

On the other hand, I suspect a lot of people who like to pretend that we all have roughly the same chances if only we got off our bums, are actually luckier and more priviledged than they would care to admit. After all, why be humble and thankful for your success when you could be using it as an excuse to big yourself up and run down others?

At the end of the day, no matter what these people say, there is overwhelming statistical evidence that those of wealthier backgrounds who receive better education are more likely to do better. So anyone who says 'life is what you make of it' unresevedly and without qualification is merely demonstrating their own ignorance and arrogance by their total denial of the fact that there are other people who are less fortunate than themselves.

As I repeat to myself any time I feel that I'm slipping, life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

There are things in my life that I can't change, like my health problems, but the rest of it is up to me.

There is no doubt about it that some people are just stuck in a cycle of blaming their own lack of vision or motivation on this that and the other.

On the other hand, I suspect a lot of people who like to pretend that we all have roughly the same chances if only we got off our bums, are actually luckier and more priviledged than they would care to admit. After all, why be humble and thankful for your success when you could be using it as an excuse to big yourself up and run down others?

At the end of the day, no matter what these people say, there is overwhelming statistical evidence that those of wealthier backgrounds who receive better education are more likely to do better. So anyone who says 'life is what you make of it' unresevedly and without qualification is merely demonstrating their own ignorance and arrogance by their total denial of the fact that there are other people who are less fortunate than themselves.

and then there are always people like this one..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Sugar

and this one left school with 3 o levels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Major

Then you still have a choice to do something else. Again, life is what you make it.

If you have been forced to change what you do in order to maintain a standard of living then life isn't what you make it.

You have choices, but what choices are limited by the actions of everyone else and the indifferent universe.

The fact that you can go on and change your life (for better or worse) proves that life is what you make of it, it's completely relevant.

No, it proves that you can have an affect on your own life, something no one has disputed. The fact that myriad external forces beyond your control constantly affect your life prove that life is largely what is made for you.

I notice that the example about the murder has been removed. Maybe it's still a bit fresh, but it's current events and nothing in the forum rules says I can't talk about it.

What control do you have over your life when someone walks into a shop and stabs you to death?

Or if you get hit by a bad driver. Or if the economy collapses and nobody wants to buy your services or hire you to work?

You have choices still, but the fact that you need to make a choice has been forced on you by things beyond your control.

Archived