Is it possible to book a holiday abroad the day before you go?

back in 2008 i was on a train to cardiff and on got 4 guys who had booked a teletext holiday with 3 hours to get to cardiff airport, they were on the phone to a taxi company to pick them up at the train station, always wondered if they made it in time

It's GOT to be fun to turn up at an airport and do the rounds of the airline desks to see which flights have space(s) and simply go for it, no matter where you end up or what you packed. Then, on arrival, book a (cheap) B&B and see how it pans out.

Maybe you shouldn't do it with two kids in tow, though!

It's possible to get a ridiculously cheap holiday by booking the day before; any spaces still not booked, the travel company will be desperate to fill.

On the other hand, it's also possible to fail to find anything not ridiculously expensive, because all economy seats are taken and you can only go first class. The wider a range of holidays you're willing to consider, the more likely you will get something very cheap.

My husband and I did it a few years ago. We were due to have a week in our caravan at Skegvegas and the weather was awful, so we had a look on teletext, phoned up and booked a week in Majorca, leaving the next day. We picked up our tickets at the airport and had a brill holiday with 90 degrees temp every day!

We booked 36 hours in advance last year.

Booked it at 8.30pm on the Tuesday night and flew out at 7am on the Thursday morning.

That was through Alpha-rooms and we got a great bargain at a fantastic apartment complex. We were on the verge of giving up looking - cheap often equalled dire Trip Advisor reports, but we fell lucky with the place we found.

So much so, we're going back again this year - but without the last minute panic!

Archived