What Was Your Favourite Spice As A Kid

I was a youngster in the '30s when money for people was tight. I seem to recall I received one penny a week and divided it into two for two lots of sweets so a lot of the choice was spent drooling over what was on offer in those jars the cost of the sweets being two old pence a quarter of a pound and it had to be something which would last not something which tasted nice but had gone in the twinkling of an eye. Those coloured crystals were great except your friends insisted on wetting their finger and having a poke to see how many colours they got. Happy days

No contest

Kop Kops - my mum used to take me to Chesterfield on the No 12 bus every other Saturday to go and visit her Mum.

We used to call in a sweet shop that was in Fitzalan Sq (I think - talking 50 odd years ago now) and she bought a bag of Mishapes for my Gran and a bag of Kop Kops for us to share on the bus.

They can still be bought at some of those shops that sell 'old fashioned' sweets and if I do get some I only have to suck one fro a few minutes and tarnsported back to that bus chugging up Chesterfield Rd to Woodseats, Norton, Dronfield and beyond

Close second were the jelly snakes

All sweets were my favourite's - wonder I didn't get rotten teeth !

Use to like and Buy:

Fruit Salad + Black Jacks

Arrow bars + Barley sugar sticks.

Gob stoppers + sherbet dips.

Flying Sauces

Mixed Sherbet crystals.

Midget Jems.

The sweets then were cheap......black Jacks 4 for 1d

Barly sugar stick ( 12 inches long ) for 3d........those were the days !

Archived