Why do we keep eggs in the fridge?

As the title says. The question on the mind of everyone since eggs were invented. Just why do we keep them in the fridge when supermarkets keep them on the shelves. Even the makers of fridges have created designated areas to store our eggs. Is there a reasonable explination or will this mystery remain unsolved forever

Sorry haven't read the whole thread, having a bit of trouble with a virus that is changing all my online details. Anyway, if you keep eggs warm they will hatch if fertile or go bad if sterile. Keep them cool and they will do nothing other than stay fresh for your breakfast.:)

As the title says. The question on the mind of everyone since eggs were invented. Just why do we keep them in the fridge when supermarkets keep them on the shelves. Even the makers of fridges have created designated areas to store our eggs. Is there a reasonable explination or will this mystery remain unsolved forever

Mystery may be explained here :)

Im new to this forum isnt that what i said or are my posts invisible is there some sort of PECKing order

I don’t think there’s a pecking order, nice pun (pecking, eggs, chicken):D but if there is I’m somewhere near the bottom. I hadn’t read that far before posting but at least I confirmed that you was correct.:)

If you will allow me the forum fuax pas of quoting myself...

There are reasons why eggs are not kept in the fridge in supermarkets. For example, the Commission Regulation (EC) No 589/2008 of 23 June 2008 laying down detailed rules for implementing Council Regulation (EC) No 1234/2007 as regards marketing standards for eggs has this to say:

(7) Cold eggs left out at room temperature may become covered in condensation, facilitating the growth of bacteria on the shell and probably their ingression into the egg. Therefore, eggs should be stored and transported preferably at a constant temperature, and should in general not be refrigerated before sale to the final consumer.

Furthermore research carried out in 1977 demonstrated that the best preservation method was to store them in the fridge, giving a life of upto 7 months. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx.

jb

Links stolen from discussion here: http://www.badscience.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22686

jb

The correct temp for storing chocolate is just below it's melting point, as it is actually designed to be at that temperature so that it melts in the mouth - which is why thin chocolate often tastes better, as it melts in the mouth easier.

If you keep it in a fridge, you are getting a very different taste to doing it "correctly" (though some people seem to prefer it)

I prefer it cold, freezer better than fridge. I don't like it to melt in my mouth, I like it to crunch :)

I keep potatoes and onions in the fridge too which I believe is slightly unusual. For me it's all about the lack of cupboard space tho!

Same here!

We have a massive fridge and hardly any spare cupboard space - so I keep a lot of stuff in the fridge that's not necessary... eggs, onions, potatoes, garlic bulbs, ketchup, beers & drinks etc.

But vodka should always be kept in the freezer ;)

I prefer it cold, freezer better than fridge. I don't like it to melt in my mouth, I like it to crunch :)

And I thought it was just me that liked it like that.:)

Archived