Why do we keep eggs in the fridge?

I posted on here earlier and It's been removed. Well done to the person who reported me as I realise I was illegally making fun of the fantastically important question of where should eggs be stored! I'm cutting my fingers off at this very moment to prevent me from posting more light heartedness. :loopy::mad:

Yeah, my post was removed about drilling a hole in your fridge door to make sure the light has gone out when it's shut.

I thought it was a great contribution to energy saving and green living.

Once visiting my posh cousins house in London, she had a basket of eggs on her cottage window sill, i felt at them, they were ice cold, she must have just taken them out of the fridge for "look at", probably threw them back in when i left :D

Delia Smith:

How to buy and store eggs: Number one on the list here (unless you happen to know the hens) is to buy your eggs from a supplier who has a large turnover. Boxes now (and sometimes the eggs themselves) carry a ‘best before’ date. What you should know is that this date, provided the egg box is stamped with the lion mark, corresponds precisely to 21 days after laying (not packing), so you are, therefore, able to work out just how fresh your eggs are.

Although it is now being recommended that eggs should be stored in the refrigerator, I never do. The reason for this is that for most cooking purposes, eggs are better used at room temperature. If I kept them in the fridge I would have the hassle of removing them half an hour or so before using them. A cool room or larder is just as good, but if, however, you think your kitchen or store cupboard is too warm and want to store them in the fridge, you’ll need to try to remember to let your eggs come to room temperature before you use them. My answer to the storage problem is to buy eggs in small quantities so I never have to keep them too long anyway. The very best way to store eggs is to keep them in their own closed, lidded boxes. Because the shells are porous, eggs can absorb the flavours and aromas of other strong foods, so close the boxes and keep them fairly isolated, particularly if you’re storing them in the fridge.

Yeah, my post was removed about drilling a hole in your fridge door to make sure the light has gone out when it's shut.

I thought it was a great contribution to energy saving and green living.

I have removed the bulb and have a torch handy-kepton a chain which is attached to my fridge.

Archived