How do i begin to write a book on my life?

It depends why you are writing it - is it for private reasons or do you plan on looking for it to be published? If it's more like a diary then you can write it however you want. If you want to get published then you probably need to follow a more specific format. Also, remember that biographies are sometimes only interesting to the person who wrote them so perhaps worth just keeping for yourself.

Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Did you have a childhood of unutterable misery?

2. Have you appeared on a reality TV programme?

3. Have you slept with someone famous like a Premiership footballer?

If the answer to any of these is yes, then under no circumstances should you write a book as there's enough of all this rubbish clogging up the shelves already. And if the answer to all of them is yes, doubly so (Jordan, if you're reading this, please take note...).

First, I would totally ignore all the fatuous comments on here that your very sensible question has engendered. Take them for what they are - mindless and not very funny.

Then, here's some positive advice:

Make a chronological list of all the events and issues that you consider to be significant. Dates wherever possible. Then, start writing in the first person. Just write without any particular theme in mind, but be sure to include feelings as well as substance. Remember, it's only a first draft. In between writing spells, look for context. What was going on around you at the time? The national and local newspapers on microfiche at the library in whatever city you grew up are a valuable source. Once you've prepared a first draft, let a couple of people, preferably ones with some literary experience, review it. Then, move on to the next draft. From there, you'll need to decide whether you want to publish it for public consumption and if so, you'll need to contact a publishing company. Hope this is of some help.

If you go into Waterstones in town, there are some books on how to write your life story.

Go upstairs, turn right at the top of the stairs and they were in the 'Language' or maybe 'English Language' section.

There were also books on how to get your book published - if that's what you're after.

The library also has books on writing (save a bit of the old 'hard earned'). Not as much choice though.

Good luck.

G

WOW......, thank you for the brilliant ideas, I do eventually want to have my book published, a lot of people have always said that i should write a book but never thought that the time was right then , but now the time does seem right... thank you all so much ..it all makes sence........., oh and metal man, 2 out oo 3 aint bad!!! x

Just sit down and begin with your first recollections, Mum, Dad, family, Grandparents, where you were born then start with your earliest memories, and keep going, and believe me the memories will start flooding back, I can guarantee that, thats I how I started and it is coming along nicely, and my childhood was a very, long, long, time ago.In my case when I started on my National Service days long lost memories of mates, happenings all came flooding back, just have a go and good luck,

I'd start with my earliest memories. In my case I remember hearing a great wailing sound in the middle of the night in Huddersfield. It was an air raid siren but my Dad said a lampost had been knocked down up the road and it was making a funny noise. I believed him and went back to sleep - in the cellar. First days at school in Huddersfield and first day at school in Sheffield. I think its ok to throw in a random selection of memories. A strict order is not necessary. My Dad wrote his autobiography at 90 - titled '90 Not Out'. He was not a brilliant writer - the book was very much like a big diary - but to me its priceless and gives me an accurate picture of what life was like for him from 1917 to 2007.

Archived