Overseas aid, can we afford it?

And how is that? Do we have to or is it given. Do we cut on health and defence to pay aid ,Why?

If we cut overseas aid it doesn't automatically follow that the government would spend more on say Health and Defence - or anything else for that matter - or reduce taxation.

Can we afford overseas aid, or can we afford not to give overseas aid. Is it given to countries as a bribe in order that they tow the line.

We need to stop overseas aid and then spend the money on ourselves.

Put it into health, schools and public transport where we will see some bnfit from it instead of just handing to every sob stroy that comes along.

If we cut overseas aid it doesn't automatically follow that the government would spend more on say Health and Defence - or anything else for that matter - or reduce taxation.

What would it be spent on then? Its not what we spend it on its why do we give aid to countries that are inept. Why do we care and what good do these countries give back to the world.

We probably can afford it, since we can still afford to contribute to EU bailouts, war in Libya etc. The question is whether we should. With a budget in deficit, essentially everything we spend is part of that defecit. It's borrowed money that has to be payed back, with interest. So we are borrowing money to give to other countries, which I and other UK taxpayers will have to pay back.

I'm not against it per se, but any aid money needs clearly outlined terms and objectives. We need to know what they are, and whether they are likely to be met and when they are being met. If a receiver of aid money doesn't like the terms (such as political or economic reforms), we should withdraw the aid.

It's not unusual for a country that's just received some "overseas aid" to purchase something from our country. I remember a few years back an African country received some "overseas aid" and shortly after if ordered an expensive air traffic control system from British companies.

Make of that what you want.

We probably can afford it, since we can still afford to contribute to EU bailouts, war in Libya etc. The question is whether we should. With a budget in deficit, essentially everything we spend is part of that defecit. It's borrowed money that has to be payed back, with interest. So we are borrowing money to give to other countries, which I and other UK taxpayers will have to pay back.

I'm not against it per se, but any aid money needs clearly outlined terms and objectives. We need to know what they are, and whether they are likely to be met and when they are being met. If a receiver of aid money doesn't like the terms (such as political or economic reforms), we should withdraw the aid.

My bold.

To see how stupid this is try going to the bank and saying to the manager, 'id like a loan please and id like to give the money to smack rats and **** heads'

Hed tell you to do one, and quite rightly so.

My bold.

To see how stupid this is try going to the bank and saying to the manager, 'id like a loan please and id like to give the money to smack rats and **** heads'

Hed tell you to do one, and quite rightly so.

Well they're not all smack rats. India for example has many people at the extremes of poverty but also some mega wealthy. Rather than just donating aid to help their poor, we should be showing them how to redistribute their wealth and how to build a welfare system so that they become less relaint on aid in teh future. It's one of the world's fastest growing economies fgs, they don't need aid, just a bit of mentoring in how to manage their wealth.

Archived