Where do you stand on this?

Hello, I'd be grateful for your opinions/views on the following. . .

I was on the tram to Meadowhall on Saturday morning, it was around 10am, and there were 3 lads in their early teens sat on the opposing seats, and behind them an elderly couple.

Now one of the boys began to tear up his ticket, roll the pieces into small balls and flick them at the elderly couple (although I was not aware of this at the time). He did this a few times before a man, who was sitting near the elderly couple, began to shout at them and no sooner did he start shouting he was up with his fist raised to the boy threatening to punch him, the boy looked terrified.

It was at this point I intervened. The man explained what the boys had been doing and I agreed that it wasn't right, but you can't go around hitting kids (I had my 10 year nephew and my 8 year old son with me who were visibly scared) I said he should have asked them to stop first and not instantly resorted to threats of violence. Reaction amongst other passengers was mixed. Mutterings of 'he should have just hit him' alongside people shaking their head at him.

I was then surprised at the elderly couple, who began to tell me to mind my own business. I said I understand that the boys were out of line but, blowing up and threatening to smash their faces in was not the right reaction and that they should have asked them to stop first.

It was at this point I had to leave the tram to the chorus of the man and the couple telling me to 'get lost' and mind my own business.

I was perplexed at how they (the man, the couple and some passengers) were so inclined to resort to violence before any other means especially as these were children.

Some kids have no respect fot the elderly, you should've reported the incident to the staff on the Tram, and they would've ejected the kids at the next stop and/or called the coppers.

I was on the tram to Meadowhall on Saturday morning, it was around 10am, and there were 3 lads in their early teens sat on the opposing seats, and behind them an elderly couple.

Now one of the boys began to tear up his ticket, roll the pieces into small balls and flick them at the elderly couple (although I was not aware of this at the time). He did this a few times before a man, who was sitting near the elderly couple, began to shout at them and no sooner did he start shouting he was up with his fist raised to the boy threatening to punch him, the boy looked terrified.

It was at this point I intervened. The man explained what the boys had been doing and I agreed that it wasn't right, but you can't go around hitting kids (I had my 10 year nephew and my 8 year old son with me who were visibly scared) I said he should have asked them to stop first and not instantly resorted to threats of violence. Reaction amongst other passengers was mixed. Mutterings of 'he should have just hit him' alongside people shaking their head at him.

I was then surprised at the elderly couple, who began to tell me to mind my own business. I said I understand that the boys were out of line but, blowing up and threatening to smash their faces in was not the right reaction and that they should have asked them to stop first.

It was at this point I had to leave the tram to the chorus of the man and the couple telling me to 'get lost' and mind my own business.

I was perplexed at how they (the man, the couple and some passengers) were so inclined to resort to violence before any other means especially as these were children.

How do you know these people were not shaking their heads at you ?

He did this a few times before a man, who was sitting near the elderly couple, began to shout at them and no sooner did he start shouting he was up with his fist raised to the boy threatening to punch him, the boy looked terrified.

Maybe he let adrenalin make his plan of action. Sensibly he should've avoided getting angry and tried to defuse the situation, but it isn't always that easy.

This is why the country is in such a state, people like you with softly softly attitude. Have you not realised that this attitude does not work or don't you read the news papers

Its easy, they resort to that sort of behaviour because they have learned to talk with their fists and not think with their head, surely physical force should be the last resort...he could have tried talking to them first they would probably have stopped, he was probably a lot bigger and more intimidating to them than they could have been with their silly flicking.

Don't get me wrong I am not defending them they are in need of a few lessons in respect...oh well lets hope it gave them a short sharp shock and they will not try it again.

I do feel for you being harrassed like that for trying to stop it all escalating into something far worse, a lot of people these days are worse than animals.

I don't, it's just my feeling and perception. But that isn't the point.

When you have three cocky kids who regardless of how many bystanders there are start to throw at an elderly couple you can hazard a guess at how they would have responded to a polite request to stop.

Archived