Where do you stand on this?

Are you aware of the history of the human race? Someone asked Hitler to stop being bad before the war started. The Soviet monster was only tamed by counter waving of big sticks. Sad but true. If you don't believe me please try your luck travelling public transport or the town centre on a Saturday night and ask people to behave themselves.

Too true mate,I bet Gary Newlove asked the youths nicely to stop making a nuicance of themselves.

Sorry, I know you are thinking ethically but you should eat less muesli.

You've managed to slip your cliché in, well done.

Are you aware of the history of the human race? Someone asked Hitler to stop being bad before the war started.

... and WW1 started because someone tried to solve a problem using violence.

You do a fine line in patronising. :)

Sorry, I know you are thinking ethically but you should eat less muesli.

Has it crossed any hand wringers peanuts that the man merely threatened the kids? That he was psyching them out? Had he resorted to violence he would have gone too far but he did not. As someone pointed out, asking kids to behave nicely is usually met with laughter and jeers and, believe it or not muesli eaters, threats of violence!!! The best way to counter such anticipated threats is to show them it's not going to happen first then apply the Guardian approved talk later.

I notice you also did nothing except condemn the pro active man. I wonder if you would have intervened and what the response would have been to your pleas for niceness.

We need a 'like' button

You've managed to slip your cliché in, well done.

... and WW1 started because someone tried to solve a problem using violence.

You do a fine line in patronising. :)

I do and that's because I am frequently flabbergasted by the shock experienced by the suburb dwellers as they venture into reality. I remember a bigger kid walloping my next door neighbours son a few years younger. My neighbour an ex miner stepped out and lifted the kid up Darth Vader style, called him a scumbag and told him to never be seen again on the street before dropping him. To me that's a balanced reaction, no actual violence but a nice psychological punishment. Some would say the bullying kid had problems at home, was simply expressing his angst and needed a big hug.

I remember a bigger kid walloping my next door neighbours son a few years younger. My neighbour an ex miner stepped out and lifted the kid up Darth Vader style, called him a scumbag and told him to never be seen again on the street before dropping him.

I'm neither pro-violence nor anti-violence. I just don't think it should be a first resort.

You've got a terrible habit of thinking that people who disagree with you grew up in some country residence and that the 'real world' is for you and your mates. I grew up in a rough school, I learnt how to use my fists when I have to, yet I also learnt how to talk my way out of using them too.

This is why the country is in such a state, people like you with softly softly attitude. Have you not realised that this attitude does not work or don't you read the news papers

This is exactly the reason WHY NOT to immediately respond with violence. The man who stood up to threaten the kids was probably a normal response as far as the kids were concerned. They probably grew up around this sort of attitude. The answer is not to respond with violence. Behaviour breeds.

Change your behaviour and change the world. You show people an alternative for resolution, and they may just consider it. You start throwing your weight around, and that is EXACTLY what you will get back. The result? A world full of angry, violent people.

What was the point you were trying to make?

That violence against young kids isn;t the answer. We wouldn't hit anyone we disagreed with would we so why do it to a child? I realise the kids weren't hit in this case but the threat was there and it sounded quite real.

What would this teach these kids? Strike out first next time? The answer is violence? My point would have been better served had I not had my post removed for the use of what some considered to be an offensive word.

I believe you saw my post before so you know full well what I am talking about.

I'm neither pro-violence nor anti-violence. I just don't think it should be a first resort.

You've got a terrible habit of thinking that people who disagree with you grew up in some country residence and that the 'real world' is for you and your mates. I grew up in a rough school, I learnt how to use my fists when I have to, yet I also learnt how to talk my way out of using them too.

Good, and that's the better way. I know everybody doesn't fit the stereotype but sadly most do.

That violence against young kids isn;t the answer. We wouldn't hit anyone we disagreed with would we so why do it to a child? I realise the kids weren't hit in this case but the threat was there and it sounded quite real.

What would this teach these kids? Strike out first next time? The answer is violence? My point would have been better served had I not had my post removed for the use of what some considered to be an offensive word.

I believe you saw my post before so you know full well what I am talking about.

I missed the post you refer to.

I agree with your point. Using violence before reason sets a bad example and would only serve to push these kids further into that same mind set.

I missed the post you refer to.

I agree with your point. Using violence before reason sets a bad example and would only serve to push these kids further into that same mind set.

then I offer my apologies Dan. I was trying to be sarcastic but with my post standing alone it looks odd and out of place. I do agree with your point here completely.

Archived