Where do you stand on this?

This is exactly the reason WHY NOT to immediately respond with violence. The man who stood up to threaten the kids was probably a normal response as far as the kids were concerned. They probably grew up around this sort of attitude. The answer is not to respond with violence. Behaviour breeds.

Change your behaviour and change the world. You show people an alternative for resolution, and they may just consider it. You start throwing your weight around, and that is EXACTLY what you will get back. The result? A world full of angry, violent people.

Try that attitude with many of the local teen gangs round here and you will be looking to get on the rehousing list :roll:

Violence breeds violence IMO, if the kids are violent to you, and you're violent back, then IMO you're as bad as them!

If the kids are violent to you then the line has already been crossed, at this point your violent response is called self defence.

If the kids are violent to you then the line has already been crossed, at this point your violent response is called self defence.

The man on the bus was not resorting to violence in SELF-defence. It was my understanding that the boys were annoying an elderly couple by flicking bits of paper at them. In my limited knowledge of the law, neither violence against the person who retaliated with violence, nor violence full stop.

The man on the bus was not resorting to violence in SELF-defence. It was my understanding that the boys were annoying an elderly couple by flicking bits of paper at them. In my limited knowledge of the law, neither violence against the person who retaliated with violence, nor violence full stop.

I never said he was,my post was directed at Rich's post.

I can sympathise to an extent with both sides... I suspect others arguing can too.

I think the man's intervention sounds a bit over the top, but I can understand in a situation like that being over the top can be justified as emphasising, asserting and making clear that the kids had better stop what they are doing.

I can also understand mynameisdan intervening because they are worried about an over reaction (especially if they didn't see the cause). I can also understand that if the man feels vulnerable, outnumbered and angry mynameisdan standing up to them will attract their ire.

You would hope however that such a situation could be quickly resolved without further animosity. That after snapping at mynameisdan they would take a deep breath and see what was going on. I think the fact that it continued into a thoroughly unpleasant situation for mynameisdan with the elderly couple joining in :( shows that bad manners are not unfortunately purely the reserve of children.

Ok, here's my bit.

The kids obviously had no respec for elderly people.

Kids of that ilk can be quite gobby when confronted.

The fella that stood up to them probably thought that a polite request would go unheeded and therefore took the route as given by the OP.

Personally speaking ive been there, took the polite route of asking for the tinny phone rap crap to be turned down only to be told to eff off. It was only when I got up and got in their face that they did as they were asked.

A lot of kids today have no concept of respecting elders and in this nanny state they take full advantage knowing that a lot of adults won't go near them for fear of being knifed.

I for one will not put up with it and hence I totally agree with the man's actions.

Archived