Where do you stand on this?

And they were obviously intimidated by that threat and stopped, end of.

... because someone stepped in and stopped it turning into a brawl.

This is a "reason over violence" question. At what point do you stop trying to reason with someone and use your fists?

With AJ I get the feeling that point is "pre-emptive, just in case".

I live on a rough estate auto98uk, I have seen some terrible situations arise out of a polite request to stop doing something, seen some extremely bad behaviour from young uns, I guess there is a time and place for a firm hand.

I personally would not have opened with a threat, I would have asked them politely first off, but then again I wasnt there so who knows.

I share the same view. I would have first asked them to stop and secondly notified the tram condutor (if I had known what was going on).

When you have three cocky kids who regardless of how many bystanders there are start to throw at an elderly couple you can hazard a guess at how they would have responded to a polite request to stop.

I agree. Some passengers who were witness to the boy flicking paper obviously didn't act either out of fear or apathy. We think the worst of the youths, my question is: Is that wrong?

Well ok, but isn't violence first what makes it rough? By behaving like the ruffians :) you are surely propagating the system?

One of the roads I lived on was run by a gang of kids about 15 strong and none of them were above the age of 16, most of these kids were from known families.

The were literally running amok on the street, smashing up property, dealing drugs, threatening with violence and when they realised nobody was stopping them they were physically attacking anyone who confronted them about their behaviour.

To be fair it was the local shop selling them alcohol that fuelled this and once the shop was closed down things went quiet.

I dont live on that road any more but drive through from time to time and even though half the houses are empty and are being modernised I have noticed a new gang taking the old gangs place, no doubt the younger brothers of the first lot.

Archived