Where do you stand on this?

Indeed, the reason there is so much violence is because of people like him who don't use violence...oh wait, that is stupid.

In a way yes, that's exactly how it is. I imagine in times gone by, kids wouldn't even dream of doing anything as disrespectful as that because there was always someone bigger and stronger to put them in their place. My parents would have killed me if I would have done anything like that. I'd have certainly got a smack and sent to my room. But I wouldn't say anything as ridiculous as, "My parents used violence to control me". But these days that's the ridiculous view that people take. No, they were just bloody firm and because of that I respected them along with the norms and proper behaviour of society.

So I think what the poster is saying here, is that the discipline and respect that was enforced in times gone by is missing from today's society, and anyone who so much as raises their voice at the "poor kids" is seen as barbaric and gets accusations of child abuse screamed at them...

And this is why young teenage boys find it acceptable to disrespect an old couple like that just going about their day, expecting to be able to travel on public transport without being bothered by little hooligans...harsh? They were only throwing bits of paper you say, but these are the kids who will later think it's OK to control streets in a gang of 15+ like another poster has just mentioned, because their behaviour has escalated because nobody has challenged them or nipped it in the bud......

My parents would have killed me if I would have done anything like that. I'd have certainly got a smack and sent to my room. But I wouldn't say anything as ridiculous as, "My parents used violence to control me".

Is English your first language?

In a way yes, that's exactly how it is. I imagine in times gone by, kids wouldn't even dream of doing anything as disrespectful as that because there was always someone bigger and stronger to put them in their place. My parents would have killed me if I would have done anything like that. I'd have certainly got a smack and sent to my room. But I wouldn't say anything as ridiculous as, "My parents used violence to control me". But these days that's the ridiculous view that people take. No, they were just bloody firm and because of that I respected them along with the norms and proper behaviour of society.

So I think what the poster is saying here, is that the discipline and respect that was enforced in times gone by is missing from today's society, and anyone who so much as raises their voice at the "poor kids" is seen as barbaric and gets accusations of child abuse screamed at them...

And this is why young teenage boys find it acceptable to disrespect an old couple like that just going about their day, expecting to be able to travel on public transport without being bothered by little hooligans...harsh? They were only throwing bits of paper you say, but these are the kids who will later think it's OK to control streets in a gang of 15+ like another poster has just mentioned, because their behaviour has escalated because nobody has challenged them or nipped it in the bud......

My parents would have "killed" me for that sort of behaviour also, but we are not talking about parents disciplining their own children (even if it might involve a quick slap when there is no other way) this is a stranger and an adult man jumping in with threats of violence against 2 children without so much as trying to assertively talk to them first.

I have Sons now in their 20's that I have brought up on an (alledgedly) rough estate as a single parent and I would have been more than unhappy if I heard of them doing such things...indeed I know that they would not do such things as they were taught respect for people, but I never had to resort to screaming and physical violence/or threats of, to control them, I spoke to my Sons and I explained things to them, and I hope that they learned by my example.

As it goes they are good men, one is a good father that loves and can effectively discipline his children without resorting to hurting them on a regular basis...there is no need.

Of course softly softly won't work all of the time, but surely you have to give people the chance first.

Yes...why???

I thought you might have gotten confused about either the meaning of the word 'ridiculous' or 'violence'.

Because, smacking a child to get them to behave is controlling them with violence, by definition. There's no two ways about it, really.

My parents would have "killed" me for that sort of behaviour also, but we are not talking about parents disciplining their own children (even if it might involve a quick slap when there is no other way) this is a stranger and an adult man jumping in with threats of violence against 2 children without so much as trying to assertively talk to them first.

I have Sons now in their 20's that I have brought up on an (alledgedly) rough estate as a single parent and I would have been more than unhappy if I heard of them doing such things...indeed I know that they would not do such things as they were taught respect for people, but I never had to resort to screaming and physical violence/or threats of, to control them, I spoke to my Sons and I explained things to them, and I hope that they learned by my example.

As it goes they are good men, one is a good father that loves and can effectively discipline his children without resorting to hurting them on a regular basis...there is no need.

Of course softly softly won't work all of the time, but surely you have to give people the chance first.

Yes I agree to a point, but obviously these kid's parents haven't brought their kids up like you have, or like my parents have brought me up, so on this occasion unfortunately the responsibility fell on a member of the public who was a stranger to sort these kids out. If he would have punched him with all his might, I think it would be a different matter. But he didn't physically touch them. Whether he would have if the other guy wasn't there or not we will never know, but my opinion on what actually happened...well done to the guy for not just sitting there and letting them get away with it like most people obviously did...

I thought you might have gotten confused about either the meaning of the word 'ridiculous' or 'violence'.

Because, smacking a child to get them to behave is controlling them with violence, by definition. There's no two ways about it, really.

Then so be it, IMO it works...I turned out OK without any permanent psychological issues or physical scars..........

I don't think they are actually, because they were apparently scared by the adult - they would have tended to tell him where to go if they were that sort.

Yes, because he was bigger and stronger and them....for now...

Wait until they get to 16/17 and are carrying knives around for fun....

Then so be it, IMO it works...I turned out OK without any permanent psychological issues or physical scars..........

An opinion you're totally entitled to, I got the occasional light smack as a child too, and bear no grudge for it (although I really do mean light, and not very often). If I have children one day I don't think I will ever hit them though.

Archived