Where do you stand on this?

I'm not saying anything of the sort. The kid(s) were out of line. I believe the reaction was wrong and before the man raised his fists he should have asked them to stop their unruly behaviour and a whole lot more. Violence or the threat of violence should always be a last resort.

This is not about the parenting of these kids. It's about the reaction of the man and the condoning of his behaviour towards children by others on the tram that day.

But it encompasses the parenting of the kids, if they had been disciplined/brought up properly...the guy wouldn't have had to stand up to them because they wouldn't have been doing it in the first place!

Errant behaviour in kids is not resolved by violence. It wasn't 30 years ago and it still isn't today.

I think it was.

Me too....it would be interesting to ask any people who would remember from 30 years ago if they had ever heard any stories that involve the same level of violence by kids that is so prevalent today.....

Me too....it would be interesting to ask any people who would remember from 30 years ago if they had ever heard any stories that involve the same level of violence by kids that is so prevalent today.....

Yeah, the children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

well, 30 years ago I was 12 and I don't remember kids knifing each other in train stations, murdering toddlers, drinking, smoking etc. etc.

Might be rose-tinted glasses (or bad memory) but I'm fairly sure kids were better behaved back then, I know I would never have caused a nuisance on public transport (apart from pulling faces at the bus driver down the periscope on a double decker)

well, 30 years ago I was 12 and I don't remember kids knifing each other in train stations, murdering toddlers, drinking, smoking etc. etc.

You didn't have the same amount of news coverage and hyperbolic reporters/newspapers fuelling the fears of a nation.

But you can always just cherry pick your points from 30 years ago. . . . . . .

Well I can honestly say that if the lads in question were mine I would have understood if the bloke gave them a clip. Not a punch though and not if I'd been present. If they came home and said some bloke on the tram clipped them around the ear for flipping paper at some old people I would have said you asked for it...

Yeah, the children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

This is true...I mean, stuff like this does change with time and customs become outdated....but the general principles by which kids should be taught by, principles that underline respect, should be a constant....

There is no question that the boys were out of line and that better parenting may have prevented the events.

My question is surrounding the adults behaviour, no one thinks this was ludicrous?

Without being there and seeing the situation it is difficult to say. If the bloke was foaming at the mouth and drew a cosh from his back pocket then it was out of order. If he gave them a clip, good for him..

Archived