Teachers and Sick Leave..

Who's to blame for teacher sickness?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for teacher sickness?

• Teachers
    • Kids
    • Politicians
    • Parents

Interesting article in the Star about how teachers seem to be swinging the lead a bit. But do they?

I feel that the job has been made just about impossible to do with all the meddling from central and local government.

I don't blame the kids or the teachers, just some jumped up "target" whore...

Where do you stand?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield_spends_4_million_on_supply_teachers_every_year_and_teachers_take_more_sick_leave_than_any_public_sector_group_1_3386176

My kids English teach was disabled, she was hardly ever at school and my kids always had stand in teachers. Most their time in English was spent reading and not being taught. I complained and was given the sob story by the head, the teacher had a disability and needed time off work, and the school couldn’t afford a full time teacher to stand in for her. I pointed out that it wasn’t my problem it was the schools problem and they had a responsibility to educate my children.

It’s not fair on the kids when a teacher is off work for any length of time, if they are stressed they should find a less stressful job, if they are long term disable and need plenty of time of work they shouldn’t be teaching. They could get a non job with the council where it doesn’t make any difference if they are there or not.

One of my friends is a teacher. In the last couple of years she's had a broken hand courtesy of a pupil (shut her hand in a door), dislocated fingers which needed hospital treatment, also courtesy of a pupil (she put her hand up to stop them running past but he carried on and folded her fingers backwards), a brain injury from a 'practical joke' courtesy of a pupil (took one wheel off her chair and then put it in a position where she didn't notice that it was missing- she sat down, disappeared over backwards and brained herself on a cupboard on the way down) and has also been bitten, spat at and pushed over whilst pregnant.

None of those are her fault, are they?

There's sick leave, and then there's sick leave. If you're talking specifically about stress related injuries please state that, because the real injuries are very real and nothing at all to do with feeling stressed.

it is a social problem addressed elsewhere here when kids behave badly. Is it the kids fault? sort of but beyond that it is the lack of good parenting and society not giving a monkeys.

In a way i agree with you - but some good parents have little sods for children.

Just like the parents of the well behaved (potential professional rugby player) who organised a mass drive by beating of Asian pupils on leaving day.

I had more days off when I was a teacher than I have in any other job. It's stressful. Starting a new career, moving house twice, buying one house, getting divorced and coping with my grandmother dying probably didn't help with the stresses of the job, mind you.

The Star should be investigating how many kids in Sheffield Schools are being supervised by an assistant and for how many hours a week, instead of being taught by a qualified teacher. THAT is a real scandal. But that would actually take some investigative journalism, wouldn't it?

Archived