Teachers and Sick Leave..

Who's to blame for teacher sickness?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for teacher sickness?

• Teachers
    • Kids
    • Politicians
    • Parents

Guest sibon
I wouldn't think any of them are off sick because they can’t teach but there was 300,000 teachers off sick last year that couldn’t teach because they were off sick.

That isn't very different from the national average.

Which is quite surprising given that schools are pretty good germ factories.

Guest sibon

Some people are cut out to teach and make excellent teachers and some are just not cut out for the job and should find something else to do.

Generally speaking, they do.

Generally speaking, they do.

And some don't and they are the ones we are debating aren’t they.

Interesting article in the Star about how teachers seem to be swinging the lead a bit. But do they?

I feel that the job has been made just about impossible to do with all the meddling from central and local government.

I don't blame the kids or the teachers, just some jumped up "target" whore...

Where do you stand?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield_spends_4_million_on_supply_teachers_every_year_and_teachers_take_more_sick_leave_than_any_public_sector_group_1_3386176

Guest sibon
And some don't and they are the ones we are debating aren’t they.

I'm debating about the rest.

I'm a positive kind of guy.

You did spot that Frank asked "Where do you stand?", didn't you?

Who is to blame for the sick leave?

Easy - the teachers themselves (the ones who throw sick)

If the cause of the sickness is down to stress, then perhaps they are not up to the job. They can then create a vacancy for one of the supply teachers

Half of all qualified teachers leave within the first five years.

So many vacancies some schools have trouble filling them. Every Tom Dick and Harry thinks they can teach. When they try it they soon find out the reality is hell.

I would imagine that many people who sign up to the PGCE are enticed by the fact that they will get a decent salary while training.

Would love to see the take up, if the salary while training was something like £4500 a year, which still be generous for a trainee position.

Back to origional point, why is this about teachers? because the article is about teachers. If it was about parking attendants throwing sickies for months on end, then the rant would be against parking attendants.

Ultimatly, in this day and age it can never be right to throw sick for months on end when so many people cannot even get any job.

It is also wrong for a teacher who is suffering stress to remain in that position, because if the stress is due to the job role, they simply should not continue to be employed.

It is wrong from the pupils point of view to be taught by someone who isn't up to the job, and it is wrong from the point of view that the long term sickee is hogging a job that another 'more able' tutor/teacher could be doing.

Can you imagin what would happen if a plumber decided to have 6 months off with stress because he was allegic to getting his hands dirty, its madness

Guest sibon
I would imagine that many people who sign up to the PGCE are enticed by the fact that they will get a decent salary while training.

Would love to see the take up, if the salary while training was something like £4500 a year, which still be generous for a trainee position.

There is no salary whilst training, unless the trainee is on the GTP programme.

Then they wouldn't have signed up to PGCE, would they?

Trainee Chemistry teachers get a bursary, but they would get a good deal more working in the chemical industry.

Archived